What happens to gasoline in storage

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

What happens to gasoline in storage

Post by hondaman160mph »

I took 2 jars and added 4 ounces of gasoline to each jar. One jar was unleaded with ethanol added 88 octane. The other jar was premium no ethanol 91 octane.
Each jar was sealed with a 1/16 vent hole in the cover to simulate the vent in a motorcycle gas cap. Stored in a non cooled/heated garage for 2 years.
You can see the result in these pictures. All of the gas except for 1 tablespoon has evaporated. The remaining gas is visibly a thicker viscosity.
Looks a lot like 3 in 1 oil. Would not be good run through carburetor jets.
4 oz. of fuel Aug-2015.jpg
4 oz. of fuel Aug.2017.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: What happens to gasoline in storage

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

So i wonder what the leftover is in the Premium jar.
Is it an additive that the Ethanol gas would not get or are they lying about the Premium being ethanol free?

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Long time ago, a fellow by the name of Kevin Cameron wrote a piece about gasoline and octane. He explained that octane is a measure of the speed at which the gas burns. Higher octane + slower burn, which helps prevent detonation, or "ping." But, in adding octane boosters, you need to remove some of the original gasoline, thus resulting in less net BTUs per gallon (liter?). Less BTUs means less heat means less HP.

Gist of story was, run the lowest octane that keeps your motor happy for the best power and fuel economy.

And I'm gonna guess that the additional remnants in the jar on the right is the product used to raise the octane, as it's less volatile.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

The result of this not very scientific experiment were a surprise to me. I was expecting the remnants of the ethanol added fuel to look "worse" than the
no ethanol premium fuel. The fact that the remnants of both samples were the same volume,odor and viscosity was not what I expected.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

General thought about gasoline and storage: If the bike is going to sit longer than 2 days, drain the carbs. If you are not going to add fresh gas to the tank within 2 weeks, add Stabil or comparable. Generally, it's quite difficult to find non-alcohol gasoline in some areas of the country. Even then, always drain the carbs after 2 days. When straight gasoline evaporates, it leaves some residue. All this not scientifically proven. Just some preventive stuff that has worked well for me.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Luckily in Minnesota after much demand and public input non ethanol gasoline is widely available. With or without stabilizer I do wonder about the quality of gasoline in my motorcycle tanks after storing them over our 6 month winters. I wonder how the military stores gasoline long term.

letxbruce
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by letxbruce »

Gasoline is a mixture of over 100 compounds. The most volatile compounds (those that evaporate easily) are the first to go. They help start an engine quicker, especially when its cold and fuel is slower to vaporize. The remaining compounds start oxidizing and become gummy. This oxidation process actually creates different compounds from the original brew same as wine going bad when left opened.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

letxbruce wrote: same as wine going bad when left opened.
I do not understand this statement??? I never, never had wine go bad once the bottle was open.....

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

EMS wrote:
I do not understand this statement??? I never, never had wine go bad once the bottle was open.....
Mike,
It only happens to those of us who put the bottle down before it's empty. :teasing-poke:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Rick Pope wrote:
EMS wrote:
Mike,
It only happens to those of us who put the bottle down before it's empty. :teasing-poke:
No Rick, it is because his wine comes in a box and those plastic spigots are air-tight.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”