Leak on fuel lines

Philiom
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Leak on fuel lines

Post by Philiom »

Hi, I have a 1979 CBX 1000 Which started leaking from the carbs after a winter lay off, I have had the carbs done with a sonic clean and fitted a new seals to float bowls, new jets, done the fuel levels on the floats and rebuilt, I set the carbs up on a rig before a reinstall to check, unfortunately it is still leaking, and could see better where the leaks are, they are leaking from the fuel link pipes.
How difficult is it to strip and replace the O rings / seals?
I am in the UK and been looking on you tube but unable to find anything specific to the CBX 1000, would appreciate and replies.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Leak on fuel lines

Post by tevan »

It is a complete seperation of all six carbs. It is a big job for a first time. I would suggest buying mike nixons carb book on these carbs. It will be money well spent as These carbs are complex. Good luck on your venture.

Philiom

Post by Philiom »

Thanks tevan

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Phil,
Most significant issue is having to remove the throttle plates and getting the center link joints together. Otherwise, they are just 'carbs'. Of course, they will require synch afterwards. A fair synch can be done on the bench with patience and diligence. And, YES, Mike's book is a big help! Be certain to obtain/use Viton material seals (orings). Check Mike, TIMS, and Randakk.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Changing to new o-rings after 35 years is always a good idea but it would also be helpful if you could determine where the leak is coming from before dismantling the carbs.
Check for a cracked standpipe in the float bowls when you have them apart.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

Larry, did you mean Choke plates? No need to remove the throttle plates, as far as I know.
Larry Zimmer wrote:Most significant issue is having to remove the throttle plates...
SCH Rochester, MN

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Slightly foggy old timer memory, Spencer. But, I'm thinking it was the throttle plates. And, perhaps, the choke plates, too. Without digging out the book, I'm thinking it has to do with those plates operating on common shafts, respectively, for each set of 3 carbs. Removing plates was the only way to get the carbs separated to get to the fuel line links between them. Don't have to disassemble carbs any further than that. But, that's enough! As always, slightly suspect memory here! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

The throttle plates are tied together with the sych. Bolts. You only need to take the choke shafts and choke plates out.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Ah, so -- , yeah, yeah, Tevan! DUH! Cobwebs cleared. Old guy says "Thanks".
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Philiom

Post by Philiom »

Thanks to all for the info.

I have access to a workshop manual and started to strip down this after noon.
When stripping down some of the parts have perished so I have already fitted a carb refurb set from Japan for all 6 carbs, I need parts related to the following to get the job finished.

1.Throttle joints dust seals and tab washers.

2.Choke assembly replacement bolts washers, According to the workshop manual the choke assembly inside the carbs should be renewed, what is available as a replacement?

3.Accelerator pump external seal looks perished and needs replacing.

4. Air cut off valve diaphragm and o ring need replacing

5. Breather pipework between the carbs need replacing as original perished, require 2 tees and 2 connector set for the breather.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Hi Phil,

Understand you have already got the suspect Cruizin' Image carb kit. But given you have gone in this far, and I am pretty sure you only want to do this rebuild once, then I really and most respectfully recommend you still get the Randakks kit anyway and put the cost of the the Cruisin' kit down as part of the cost of your "carburetor education".

The Randakks kit has ALL the parts you need and all rubber components in Viton. The kit includes new float bowl gaskets and 18x shiny new screws, 12x new choke plate screws (and yes, you WILL mung up the old ones when you remove them), the accelerator pump diaphragm, spring and tiny O ring, the air cut off valve diaprhagm, spring and REALLY tiny rubber washer, a new split pin that goes on the end of the accelerator pump activation shaft, as well as EVERY other O ring in the carbs.

Randakk's also has the 4x throttle tube sealing rubbers and the 2x air tees (but not included in the basic kit)

Re the leak you have, there is a single small O ring (included in Randakks kit BTW) that goes on carb body no. 3 only. It seals the accelerator pump passage that comes up from the float bowl to the body of carb no. 3. If not installed, it will leak from there (DAMHIK!).

Don't forget to put a dab of blue loctite on the choke plate screws and take your time re-assembling them. Do NOT force or bend the choke shafts.

Yes, the factory manual recommends replacing them, but I think they may be NLA, and I have always re-used the originals out of the sets I have rebuilt. Be gentle on the threads on the shafts where the choke plate screws go.

Re-installation of the choke return springs can be fun, but made much easier if you carefully watch Mike Nixon's excellent Youtube video on the topic.

Also check for blocked accelerator pump jets. I have a good tip to clear them if needed. Use sandpaper to file a taper on the end of the plastic hoses that come with the carb cleaner cans. Will make your job a lot easier.

Wish I was there, looking over your shoulder to help you on this journey Phil. Take your time, start when you are fresh after a good nights kip, keep all beers on ice until the job is finished and just think of it as gentle 'mechanical meditation'. Don't be afraid to just walk away for a few hours and do something else if it all gets too frustrating. That often times is the very best course of action.

Let us know how we can be of further help and keep us posted.

Cheers...Tony 8)

Philiom

Post by Philiom »

Hi Tony, thanks for the info, really useful info, I think I may have found a UK seller for the Randakks kit you mention, just waiting for a reply, appreciate all your help!

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”