Overflow? carb not firing

sparkybr74mr
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Overflow? carb not firing

Post by sparkybr74mr »

On my 81 CBX, when I have fuel running to the carbs my number 3 carb does not fire, I believe the fuel is overflowing and flooding the cylinder out and yes I have come out with a wet plug. When I shut off the fuel flow after a few seconds the number 3 carb starts to fire, again making me think that fuel is flooding the cylinder. I believed it was the float needle, but after swapping it out with one off another carb and a second time with another float needle all together and re-setting the float the same problem still exists. I had that same problem with my 79, but with the number 1 cylinder, after swapping out the float needle on the 79 she now fires every time without flaw, just dont know whats going on with the 81

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Overflow? carb not firing

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Sparky, i am not quite understanding your terminology.
When you say #3 is firing and not firing do you mean running and not running? Or do you mean you are pulling the plug and lead and not getting a spark?
I would think if the float, float needle or float height were giving you trouble you would have gas puking out of the bowl.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Your overflow has to be running on #3 if it's flooding for that reason. Otherwise it is plugged and that's not good. You'll fill the cylinder and hydro-lock it. You don't have the primary and secondary mains switched on #3?

Dave

sparkybr74mr

Post by sparkybr74mr »

I am 99.875 percent sure I found the culprit. I should have taken the fuel shut off valve when I had the chance. It was sucking in fuel to the #3 carb from a torn diaphragm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

There you go!

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Thanks much for this feedback, Sparky. Might very well help someone else. This is one that I had not ever heard/seen. Because I have by-passed the valve on my '82, years ago, just never would have thought of it.

Thanks, again.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”