Running rich?

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Running rich?

Post by cross »

My bike seem to have very rich smelling exhaust, especially when i start it cold and let it idle few minutes. Few guys that i ride with also told me that riding behind me my bike smells very rich.
Everything is stock, jets, paper filter, spark plugs look grayish white which i think means lean. Bike starts easily when cold as long as fuel bowls are full.
I do not have high idle when choke is applied as i adjusted the choke idle level fork on the carb wrong. Bike runs fine, no issues what so ever other than that rich exhaust smell.
Originally when i cleaned carbs i had fuel mixture screws out at 1 1/4 but when i did a valve adjustment i opened them to 2 turns out and i did not have that rich smell.
Another thing that i noticed is that after a ride break, i need to twist a throttle few times for bike to start when before with 1 1/4 turn out, bike would start with just a push of a button. Second thing is that before that change, bike could of gone a full week before i needed to blow into the vacuum line to fill the fuel bowls, now only few days.
I'm do for a valve adjustment and i'm planning on doing that beginning of next month and i could pull the carbs out again at the same time and check on things only not sure what exactly.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Running rich?

Post by daves79x »

What kind of mileage are you getting? That's the best gauge of carb richness. Many CBXs I've had/ridden, especially late models due to the negative air behind the fairing, have had that 'rich' smell, but were just fine carb and mileage-wise. Anyway, without a heavy throttle hand, you should be getting at least mid-30s, over 40 at steady cruising speed. Also, CBXs in good tune should show almost white plugs.

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I was getting well over 30 with mixture screws 1 1/4 turns out, after that i adjusted them to 2 or perhaps 2 1/2, it's a lot less.
I'll be doing a bunch of work next month on it and I'll re check carbs again.
Is it possible that there is some fuel seeping into the crank case and making it smell extra rich?
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Irishman1
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Irishman1 »

It's so nice that so many members respond and are quick to help on the is forum isn't it?. Hmmm
ICOA # 6786
Retired, now my job is restoring old hondas!
Bike in the garage right now:
1979 CBX1000 red
1980 CBX1000 red
1981 CBX1000 prolink
1975 gl1000 blue
1975 gl1000 red
1975 gl1000 sulfur yellow
1975 gl1000 red
1976 gl1000 sulfur yellow
1977 gl1000 black
1977 gl1000 blue
1977 gl1000 black
1978 cb750f super sport
1979 cb750f super sport

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Most people actually think so, sorry you don't.

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Irishman1 wrote:It's so nice that so many members respond and are quick to help on the is forum isn't it?. Hmmm
Actually people on this forum are amazing. The knowledge and willing to help is unmatched on any other forum
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

mlynch001
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mlynch001 »

Sasha,

One thing that I noticed that you said was that you "Blow" into the vacuum line to fill the float bowls. That is a vacuum operated valve, so you would actually pull a vacuum on the line, not blow into it. This may simply be semantics, but the valve could have a perforated diaphragm, which would allow fuel to be drawn into that one cylinder and make it very rich. This would be obvious, since you would have on cylinder of six that had a black or sooty plug. You have checked the air cut diaphragm for condition? I have an 82 and it has a slight rich smell, this is common to bikes of the era. (I worked for HONDA from 1983 to 2003) Dave is correct, the mileage and spark plug condition are your best indicators of "rich" or "lean". My bike gets fuel mileage in the mid 40's consistently and sometimes smells "Rich". Not at all suggesting that you don't have an issue, just giving a few observations based on my experience. Best of luck to you.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

There's an unused nipple on the vacuum diaphragm, opposite the vacuum side, to which you can attach a length of hose and blow, overriding the spring.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

That unused nipple is actually the 'vent' for the vacuum side, so yes just blow and hold on that line to override the vacuum and fill the bowls.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Originally, the "unused nipple" has a tube connected to it, that routes down to below the bike together with the carb vent tubes. If you look for an "unused nipple" you may not find it.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Yes, I have small vacuum hose routed behind left cover and always blow into it and watch the flow in the fuel filter.
Once it stops flowing I start the bike. This is after it sits for a while
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”