CRANKING IT OUT !!!

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CRANKING IT OUT !!!

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

You guys in Alberta are fast becoming a hot bed for cool bikes.
I see Paul LeClair[Mr Laverda] is active on CBXWorld.

nicholr
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nicholr »

Hey all,
Carb remediation process is under way, I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks for all the input. Hey Mouse, sorry I said Cochrane but meant Canmore. And yes , the CBX ranks are rising in Calgary. My RE5 riding buddy has 5 I believe. A '79 and 4 - 81/82 rides plus lots of bits! He intends to build 3 for himself. Very talented guy also into Kettles and old Ducs. I know what you mean about CBX's in Calgary. During my resto I have met 3 - 81 guys and have a buddy who is hot rodding (turbo plus) a '79 (and yes Steve, he is Paul). I am a hands on guy as the bikes provide much needed diversion from my daily duties. I do know the retail repair folks you are mentioning (with thanks) but again, I prefer to make my own errors and take on the knowledge.

Someone asked for a Jota snap so here's one of Paul and I enroute to the mountains some years back, hopefully included (still learning this utility).

regards all
Ron N
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Thank you!!!
Those bikes are beautiful, hopefully soon I'll be able to afford one.
What kind of fairing is that? Haven't seen them before.

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Sasha, pretty sure that is the stock Jota fairing for '81/'82.

nicholr
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nicholr »

Hi guys,
Yes, the front Jota was mine, the black Mirage is Paul Le Clair and the rear Jota is Andy Higgs. Both the Jota fairings are stock items. My bile is a 79 with the 180 crank so it was particularly lumpy thru those beautiful Slater pipes. We were on a run to a weekend in Nakusp British Columbia. Its an annual event I do to visit Wolfgang Haerter and about 25 other lAverda types (although now more than a few Ducs and Guzzis do attend). This geezer stop was near Golden BC and the roar of these three darlings off the canyon walls there is pretty close to 'as good as it gets' for pipe music. Gotta love machinery that talks to you!!!

Ron

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Nice Photo Ron. And nice bikes. I know the stretch you stopped at.
One of these summers I'll add some baffle disc,s in my SuperTrapps and run the X up the lower canyon just for giggles.
As to repair shops, how my repair work attempt goes in my head and how it actually turns out in the real world are vastly different, so a quality shop as backup is a requirement for me. :?
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:You guys in Alberta are fast becoming a hot bed for cool bikes.
I see Paul LeClair[Mr Laverda] is active on CBXWorld.
Ya the oil industry really changes things. :?
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Somebody mention Laverda?

https://youtu.be/sd7R7fkEcxk

https://youtu.be/Np2U2lto-hc

Orange is the new black....

And keep us posted on the carb remediation progress, Ron, your efforts will be well and truly rewarded!

Enjoy and Merry Christmas to all.....

Cheers...Tony

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The Laverda Jota came with and without the fairing. Although for some reason, this one does not look like the stock Laverda fairing to me. I may be wrong. Not a Laverda guy.

nicholr
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nicholr »

Herdy Gerdy,

trying to connect with you per the PM message included email address you supplied but not hearing back. Please let me know if we can talk about your fix. I'm interested.

Ron N

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Michael Vidovic »

Always have had a soft spot for the big Laverdas. If any of you guys are willing to leave me one in your will I will begin extolling your virtues immediately!
...always walk out of the room smarter than you walked in...

nicholr
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by nicholr »

Ha! They are a very unique experience. Loads of culture in them and they are surprisingly reliable. How seemingly UN Italian. Honda clocks and switches and a bullet proof engine. I'll share one more photo that might make you cry. It is from the former, annual Laverda weekend in Nakusp British Columbia (A-mazing roads!). The host has since stopped holding the event but WOW, those were the best Italian eye candy days in Western Canada.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Good 'stuff'! Thanks, Ron.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

herdygerdy wrote:Install an ignition coil relay and your CBX starting world will be changed forever, and very much for the better!

https://youtu.be/njL1UDDyqTQ

PM me if you need tips on how to do this.

Enjoy!
somewhere in the near future I'll work up the courage and take you up on this, I'm a bit hopeless with electrical stuff so it's intimidating.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Mouse wrote:Nice Photo Ron. And nice bikes. I know the stretch you stopped at.
One of these summers I'll add some baffle disc,s in my SuperTrapps and run the X up the lower canyon just for giggles.
As to repair shops, how my repair work attempt goes in my head and how it actually turns out in the real world are vastly different, so a quality shop as backup is a requirement for me. :?
I spoke with a few guys from the Vintage Motorcycle Club display at the bike show on the weekend ...I asked about Willie Vass of Vass Performance Cycle, in their opinion Willie ranks among the best anywhere. Every time I chat with Willie I come away more and more impressed with his knowledge.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”