ICOA Rally

You are seeing roughly half of our forum - what's here, how to register to see the remainder

Re: ICOA Rally

Postby daves79x » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:56 am

And yes, there is likely at least one of the pre-production bikes with a frame tag that says '1978 Model' here in the US. But that's being really too picky.

Dave
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Postby EMS » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:29 am

I really don't know what is so confusing about the whole issue. I wasn't born in the U.S. and lived in Europe for the first 36 years of my life, but since I have been in the U.S., I have learned that you can get to buy a vehicle here many months BEFORE the year of its model designation actually starts.
My wife bought a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee in November of 2002 and in January of 2003, they introduced and started selling 2004 models.....

The CBX was designated a 1979 model by Honda. Everywhere. All over the world. The fact that most of them were made and sold in 1978, does not change that.
The Europeans tend to call it a 1978, because their official government paperwork is based on the date of first registration and the calendar year that happens in, identifies the vehicle in the title.
But even there, the new model year for most manufacturers starts in August/September and the vehicle "model" is for the new year.
I have a 2012 BMW K1600GT that was built in June of 2011, a 1990 BMW K1 that was built in September of 1989. And guess what, a 1979 Honda CBX that was built in October of 1978. 8)
To be understood is the exception
To be misunderstood is the rule.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Rick Pope » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Oh, the confusion.... I have a 1927 motorcycle, that has a 1928 title, because back then, it was titled the year it left the dealer. It's an imperfect world in which we live.

I have a suggestion, let's celebrate TWICE! This rally can be a dress rehearsal for next years event. That way everybody's correct. :D
Rick Pope: ICOA Rally Director.
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.
Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Postby Motofun352 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Since I got my "title" from Penn State in 1974 does that make me 44? I kinda like this way of doing things! :teasing-poke:
Motofun352
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby EMS » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:14 pm

Rick Pope wrote:Oh, the confusion.... I have a 1927 motorcycle, that has a 1928 title, because back then, it was titled the year it left the dealer. It's an imperfect world in which we live.

That's exactly how it is in Europe in many countries. That's why they have 1983, 1984 or even 1986 CBXes. Depending on when the "leftovers" were first titled.
To be understood is the exception
To be misunderstood is the rule.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Z Grand » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:38 am

I probably won’t make the PA rally, but I say any reason for CBX’ers to get together is a good thing!
Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby CBXTRA6 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:54 pm

Jan and all,
I just came back from an amazing weekend at SUNDAY RIDE CLASSIC held on the Paul Ricard circuit in southern France, and yes
the 40th CBX anniversary started there with a big bang . Our friend Ian Foster and his wife joined me and he was received rightfully as a rock star, even among some racers and race bike builders (JLM , Brancquard , Godier Genoud etc...)
Lots of racing, exhibitions, VIP's, custom parts builders, and several amazing CBX's on the track as well, including a parade lap of about 80 CBX's on the track. I got a lot of pics and short video clips to share and lack the skills to put it all together!

So a special celebration here on our soil where most CBX's in the world were sold would be a cool thing to do for next year,
especially if we could get East,West and the Middle join the event !

I would suggest to plan it during Barber Vintage week early October ! because this is the only major event left we have,offering a worthy platform to draw participants, and it has a full racing schedule just like the one I witnessed at the Paul Ricard track.
I'm sure the organizers would like the idea and accomodate... If we can see and talk to Freddie Spencer , Wes Cooley, Steve Baker at the SRC, we sure could expect to see a bunch more @ Barber, and I talked to many ex European racers there who are familiar with Barber and expressed interest (ie: TZ club).
JP
CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Larry Zimmer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks for the note, JP. I have liked and do like the Barber thing. Question: Could we get enough people to do October vacation time. Works for me -- been doing Barber for 10 years+. Great venue.
Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Postby CBXTRA6 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:22 am

Larry Zimmer wrote:Thanks for the note, JP. I have liked and do like the Barber thing. Question: Could we get enough people to do October vacation time. Works for me -- been doing Barber for 10 years+. Great venue.

Larry : vacation time in October shouldn't be more of a problem as Daytona bike week was in early March...when it was really a main event ! sadly not the case anymore.

Judging how big Barber week is now, it looks like its scheduling in October does not conflict with many people time off.
But I guess everyone has their own priorities.
JP
CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Bob Buehler » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:55 am

Hello everyone. I finally found my way here so I think I should post something. Yes the week is good for anyone that wants to come early. I am taking the time off so feel free to email and let me know what your plans are. I will be happy if only a few show up but if we get a crowd that will be great. It has been too long since attended a rally and I miss them.

I will be posting some links to rides for anyone interested in looking at the area before you get here and I post up some places to stop on the routes and around town. I live within walking distance to the hotel so if it rains we can always do the garage barbecue find something to pretend to fix.

If anyone would like to reach me feel free to call, text or e mail

rpsbuehler@gmail.com
717-578-1923
Bob Buehler
Bob Buehler
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Bob Buehler » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:00 am

IOWACBXER wrote:Trying to organize my schedule to be there.
To be honest, getting schedule organized and travel time shouldn't be the problem.
Finding time to get a CBX up and running may be the issue.
Haven't had one running in a long time :oops:
Anxious to see how the twin turbo project ended up and if it will be at the rally.
That was yours Bob, wasn't it?
Last remember seeing it at Marlinton.

Please do not hesitate to come even if you do not have a running cbx. Honestly I really don't care. Its the people that matter. I really want to stress this point.
Bob Buehler
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Larry Zimmer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:47 am

BIG DITTO on what Bob said. It's the people. If you can bring/ride a CBX, all the better. Mostly, just be there. John Deere -- that's fine. Vespa -- come on. We just want to get together.
Larry Zimmer

Postby Rick Pope » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Rest assured, I won't bring a Deere. Might bring a Guzzi and a Spyder though. 8)
Rick Pope: ICOA Rally Director.
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.
Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Postby Motofun352 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:25 am

Years ago during a Sonestown rally we stopped at the local Honda dealer to view his impressive collection (more like a museum). Unfortunately his collection has been sold and the dealership is now in new hands. Still a good shop but missing all the goodies that Bob Logue used to have.:(. Williamson Honda out in Mill Hall used to have a collection as well but his stuff was bought by Honda and ended up in Japan at the Honda museum. We just might have to bring our own collection! Seriously though, there are lots of good roads to ride and traffic is not bad once you get out of town.
Motofun352
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Larry Zimmer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:33 am

Unfortunate about the dealer/collection. Will be good to see all, though. Looking forward to it.
Larry Zimmer

PreviousNext

Return to New Users - Start Here