ICOA Rally

You are seeing roughly half of our forum - what's here, how to register to see the remainder

ICOA Rally

Postby Larry Zimmer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:43 am

Bob Beuhler has offered to sponsor a rally in his hometown -- Williamsport, PA -- this coming Summer. Rally date: 9, 10, 11 August. Although, Bob will be available all week to host those who may want to came earlier for some additional riding, tire kicking, bench racing, etc. Rally 'camp grounds' will be the Comfort Inn in Williamsport located approx 1/2 mile from Bob. We'll post more detail as things are further pulled together. Hope to see you there :-)
Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: ICOA Rally

Postby Jeff Bennetts » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:10 pm

Cheers to Dr. Carburetor, looking forward to more details. :dance:
Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Postby Rick Pope » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:23 am

I can see this morphing into a week long event. Some of us may need to "pre-ride" the roads, followed by debriefing with a cool beverage and a cigar.

Thanks Bob.
Rick Pope: ICOA Rally Director.
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.
Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Postby Larry Zimmer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:20 pm

Definitely see that happening, Rick. I'm planning a Tuesday arrival at the moment.
Larry Zimmer

Postby IOWACBXER » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:33 am

Trying to organize my schedule to be there.
To be honest, getting schedule organized and travel time shouldn't be the problem.
Finding time to get a CBX up and running may be the issue.
Haven't had one running in a long time :oops:
Anxious to see how the twin turbo project ended up and if it will be at the rally.
That was yours Bob, wasn't it?
Last remember seeing it at Marlinton.
John Janosik ICOA 4247 S.E. Iowa
IOWACBXER
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Larry Zimmer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:07 pm

CBX preferred. BUT, ride what runs, John!! Most important thing for all of us is to get together. Goes for all you good peoples out there. Hope to see you.

Details are coming together. Hope/plan to have more within a week or two. The date(s) are set as mentioned. Aug 7 thru 12 -- whenever you can get there. Formal riding towards end of the week. Again, details to come.
Larry Zimmer

Postby Larry Zimmer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:11 pm

HERE'S THE INFO" RALLY SITE WILL BE BEST WESTERN IN WILLIAMSPORT, PA. WE CURRENTLY HAVE A BLOCK OF 20 ROOMS HELD UNTIL JULY 9 AT A RATE OF $89. THIS IS FOR THE DATES OF AUG 9, 10, 11. PHONE IS 570.326.1981. When phoning, ask for ICOA block of rooms. If this block gets filled early/quickly, Bob thinks we can get more rooms at the same. For those who might plan to arrive earlier, I suggest negotiating with the folks at the desk. The motel website is https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/ ... 39111.html

More info to come regarding ride specifics, etc. Bob has booked the entire week for vacation. All are welcome earlier that week. Hope to see you there.
Larry Zimmer

Postby Motofun352 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Also local to the Billtown area, actually went to HS (many years ago) in Williamsport (ie Billtown). I'll be around that week and am available to help with roads to ride and other attractions. Note, the Little League world series starts Monday the 13th so things will start getting crowded. Stick around for the series if you can. Last year the majors also came to town and played a game in Bowman field, don't know if that's in the cards for 2018, but maybe. I'm unfortunately CBXless :( , but still would like to hang out with old friends.
Jack
PS...August 19th Phillies vs Mets at Bowman field.
Motofun352
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Jeff Bennetts » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks Larry for the update and Bob for organizing the rally! :clap:

I hope I'll be ready to ride by then, I'm having neck surgery in a couple weeks. Regardless I'm planning on attending and hopefully drag a couple old time club members along.

What else would we be doing ?
Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Postby Larry Zimmer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Bring what ya got, Jack. Would be great to see you. Nancy, too, if she so desires. Jeff -- put on a coffee can collar and get on over. Would be good to have you there. Drag along whoever you can. Don't know what other plans there are, yet. Definitely can plan some bench racing and war stories over a few brews at Bob's. He lives only a half mile from the motel. No need to ride home after tipping a few. Don't git no better.
Larry Zimmer

Postby SteveG » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:56 pm

Sweet!

Will be riding down Wednesday August 8th, and riding back home on Friday August 10th. Looking forward to some good CBX times!

Steve
SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Ringnalda » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:47 am

Sounds like this should be a good one. I have a major microscopy meeting in Baltimore that ends on the 9th so I should be able to detour on the way back! Looking forward to seeing everyone, do we have any idea of attendance numbers at this time?

Some people have already asked me about events for the 40th anniversary of the CBX here in the US. There is a big event planned in Scotland, UK since the CBX was officially introduced in Europe in 1978. As the bike was not officially launched in the US until 1979, we can have a big celebration here next year. Ideas for rally sites etc. are always welcome, let's see if we can start organizing a large event to entice some people to come in from long distances to make it a success.

Jan
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Postby EMS » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:16 am

Ringnalda wrote: As the bike was not officially launched in the US until 1979,
Jan

If even the National Director spreads this urban legend, there is no wonder that it is being repeated all over the place.
What are you telling all these guys in the U.S. who bought a CBX in 1978? They have a memory lapse? Or for some strange reason, we dropped a year when we turned the millennium?

One more time: (then I finally give up!)
The vast majority of 1979 model CBXes (about 20,000 based on current research) were built and sold in 1978!
Honda started production in April of 1978 and the first 800 units were slated for the U.S., before any other country got any.
To be understood is the exception
To be misunderstood is the rule.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Ringnalda » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:34 am

But Mike, Are there any bikes in the US that have a 1978 ID plate? Manufacture date may state a 1978 date, but the tag still says 1979 model, no?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Postby daves79x » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:54 am

We're into semantics again. I think a better way to put it is that the Europeans are celebrating in '18 because the majority of their CB1s were titled as '78 and their frame tags made no mention of the official 'year' Honda declared it to be. Even though most CB1s in the US were made in '78 and many sold in '78 here, the frame tag here and in Canada says '1979 Model'. I think that is the only reason we celebrated the 30th in '09 and are thinking about the 40th in '19. Celebrating either year seems correct to me.

Dave
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Next

Return to New Users - Start Here