999 SIX Build

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: 999 SIX Build

Post by daves79x »

Again, I'm sure it's just me, but are we still trying to solve a non-existent problem with the big oil coolers? You shouldn't run these things in hot stop-and-go-traffic no matter what cooler you have anyway - they'll still overheat. And the downside is pretty big - not high enough oil temp to burn off the condensation. Sure, maybe a thermostat will help, but you're just choking it down to what the stock cooler will do then anyway.

But looks cool, I guess.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

No, Dave, it's not just you... 8)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

The thermostat doesn't put a ceiling on the operating temp, it puts a floor on it. I run one with my big cooler so that it will get up to temp faster & not over-cool in cold/wet weather. A 190F thermostat limits (doesn't really block) flow to the cooler until the oil temp is at least 190F.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

patzx12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by patzx12 »

Are you using those tripple T's?
What is your steering lock like?

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Wiskey Tango Foxtrot »

I have a top triple being built. that lowers it 2 inches from stock. Steering lock can be seen on previous page
I took the "Short Bus" to school because they told me it was faster.....what did they tell you ?

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Well everything got off to the paint shop and found a couple rust spots in the edge of the tank at the bottom that are pretty thin to say the least ? The thing still held gas , but I'm not taking any chances ,so off to the bead blasters for a complete strip down of the tank and some tig welding to cure the thin spots. And then back to the paint booth. Gauges left Germany last week and should be here next week. Waiting to hear from old school carbs on when they will return home , then it's GAME TIME ! Tripple tree top is being machined out this week and should see by Friday. I just got back from a road trip to California for 7 days, what a great time speeding around and not having to worry about having your bike confiscated if you get caught going 40 Kmh over the limit (like her in Canada) Just pay the fine and off you go .....I love that place ! 4654 Km in 7 days and an average speed of 110 Kmh not bad since you have to slow to 35 Mph in every little bean shooter town you go through. Got dirty gas somewhere down there and had to replace the gas filter in the tank on the way home in a wallmart parking lot......what a mess ! DAMN I just saw my next project and shouldn't even try to fit it in.....but I've been waiting far to long to let this one pass me by. 1971 Datsun 510 mint shape or close to it , then I need to source a Mazda twin turbo rotary motor and find a Scooby-doo (Subaru) WRX suspension. My god ,what have I done ?
I took the "Short Bus" to school because they told me it was faster.....what did they tell you ?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

At least we get an extra 10 kmh at 50 kmh over in Ontario before they lay the racing charge.
Both are too heavy-handed imho.

What vehicle were you in or on while bombing around in Ca.?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Sounds like a great trip and an exciting time in your CBX project!

That 510 sounds interesting. I've had a few RX-7's and will always love the rotary although I'll never own another. :-)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Steve I took my 14 1190 KTM Adventure , the "Swiss arm knife of bikes" Bags on: 200Kph tops before one starts using both lanes , bags off: about 272 and solid as a rock. syscrush I hear ya on the rotary , they are hard to be kept in proper tune BUT it's kinda like a CBX there's nothing in this world that sounds like a rotary spinning at 19 K RPM .... N O T H I N G !
Is there a pattern here ? as I get older and deafer I seem to be building stuff for the mere sound of things ? OMG the next thing will probably run on TNT .....lol
Last edited by Wiskey Tango Foxtrot on Sat May 30, 2015 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Top triple is DONE ! Now just waiting for carbs to return home and a dash to arrive. wiring , wiring , and more wiring, gas tank, bodywork , ride , and put on a shelf.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

That is a beautiful piece of work.

Makes me wanna do another CBX with USD forks. Love it. Are you using the stock 999 lower triple? The more I look at that top triple, the more I like it. There is just absolutely nothing like custom machined parts to really put the stamp on a high-quality motorcycle build.

I have one suggestion for you to take or disregard as you choose:

I think that the clip-ons would look better and be a better match for the triple if the casting seam was ground off. I've done this on a few bikes, and it's maybe an hour's worth of work.

I kinda got tricked into caring about that kind of stuff almost 15 years ago when I was painting my first bike. I took the wheels to a shop to have the tires pulled off in preparation for paint, and the mechanic asked if I was gonna grind the dumb/ugly size & part # castings off them. My response at the time was "Of course not! Who cares?" But by the time I was back home and unloading the wheels, when I looked at them all I could see was J17ASDFX4.50DOTQWERTY cast into them. Then after I ground those off, that part of the wheels was smoother than the rest rough cast surface, so I sanded them smooth all over. Then every part that had a casting seam started to bug me. But I never regretted it - I always felt good looking at those parts when it was all done and back together.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Ok , now I have parts arriving almost every day , Dash and signal lights just in from Germany (trick shit) I have replaced the OEM signal flasher with one out of Germany that pulses instead of flashes ? (it goes from off to low light ,to full light then fades back to low light and off)instead of FLASHING off and on at full light....kinda cool if you ask me. Finally found a sorce for sprockets out of Germany as well 18 tooth 520 pitch with a 16mm offset , try to find that in your local Honda shop ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

syscrush I took your advice on the clip-ons , it took more that an hour each , but man they look different now.......just kidding , custom built stainless steel riser bars.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The turn signals are called "Ochsenaugen" (Ox-eyes) and were very popular in Germany in the 60s and 70s. Almost all café bikes had them. Somehow I remember there was a problem with them later, legally. :think:

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot wrote:just kidding , custom built stainless steel riser bars.
Beautiful! Looks much, much better.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “Project Threads”