Japan made 80

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Japan made 80

Post by tevan »

Mike,
Glad your project is close to a end. Now to the other 3. That isn't bad I have 7 waiting on me. I enjoy doing these cbxs. Glad the hoses worked out for you. When or if you need more please let me know. Keep up the great work.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Mike, it is good to know that you will be without a project when you turn 75.
I will have one waiting for you. haha.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Man, you guys are making me wish I had more CBX's... And a nice workshop... And some actual skill. :lol:

Congrats on a job well done!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:Man, you guys are making me wish I had more CBX's... And a nice workshop... And some actual skill. :lol:

Congrats on a job well done!
yeah me too...there is that cbx horde (three complete cbx plus spares and frames for two more) a 40min ride away, as well as his one owner mid 70's cb750 which he may let go...I just need a job after my knee replacement and $12k, seems doable but it ain't easy getting hired when you're 60+...I've already warmed up the little boss to the idea and she hasn't said no
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Woohoo! That would be a great stash. 12K hard to come by now and I know how you feel about getting hired. I am 63 and retired. I looked at going back to work but the SSI I get would become taxed....totally don't understand being taxed on a tax but then I understand our government and there in lies the answer :laughing-rolling:

Trying to mount the front fender and discovered the front and rear tires are to tall...DOH :o I have a friend that works for Continental Tire and he is going to see if he can get me a discount on a set of Conti Classic Attacks. I hope he can!

Probably will pull carbs again. She started up and ran pretty fine on the lift so I took her for a spin without the front fender, runs and pulls like a new bike initially but after a mile or so she was stumbling and wouldn't pull off the bottom end without some choke. Got home fine and noticed she wouldn't idle under 2k and would hang the idle. All very much like slow jets again.... strange as I used clean fuel, a clean tank and a new filter. Ah, it's like herding cats with this one.

In the meantime Rocketmans CBX wasn't cranking up worth a crap. Seemed like the solenoid was pulling a lot of amperage. Put it on the lift and started troubleshooting it, easy fix but $$$... needs a battery. I have no idea how long the current battery has been in there.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Nice Project ! Got to love these carbs !! Thanks to Mike Nixon and his book and shop manual and lots of Beer ! "after finished" 48 hrs of bench work and bench leak testing was key ! I got lucky , Went one step larger on the slow jet and run 100 octane LL AV gas no more ethanol, my next door neighbor has a Airport walking distance for AV gas is very convenient. That 1980 is sweet ya built.Looking for a new project myself,Poking around for a KZ 1300 naked

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Yeah That KZ 1300 looks like a great bike to restore. I know of one in Los Alamos but I don't think Stu wants to part with it. I passed on one a few years ago for next to nothing. It was all there and in better than average shape.

I finally took the 80 for a shake down ride. Threw a plate on from one of the other bikes and off wee went. Dayum! She ran sweet. I was concerned with the gearbox as I used an 82 shaft with undercut gears but it shifted smoothly, great snap and acceleration. Handling was terrible, had to muscle it in the turns but I hope putting the right size tires on it cures this. No oil leaks was also a nice thing to see.

Gearing is a little tall, all I had was a 17 tooth countershaft sprocket so that is what I put on it. I think the rear sprocket is a 42 tooth. Il have to look again.

Overall very pleased with this build. It was a total strip down of every component, spec'd and reassembly.

Got a 1972 RD 250 to do, cool little bike with the double leading shoe front brake and spoke wheels. I won't go total stock on it, going to make it look nice but with some character. Going to try and restore a 79 CBX at the same time since I am retired and have time on my hands.
Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Gearheadgregg wrote: ,Poking around for a KZ 1300 naked

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Pretty sweet, Mike!

I have always found it interesting that the KZ had so much more market success than the CBX, but the 'X is the one that became the cult favorite.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I've had a "tour" of Mike's garage/basement. There's a lot of very nice machinery there.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

The 80 sans front fender but that has been painted and installed since this picture was taken. Have almost a thousand miles on it since the restore. It's so nice to ride a well tuned and quiet CBX.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

One more shot

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Excellent, Mike!!

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Take a bow, Brother.
The bike looks great!

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Hey! Thanks mucho Steve.

I do like ridding it.

Return to “Project Threads”