Project CBX - Need help picking parts.

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Project CBX - Need help picking parts.

Post by deadbanana0717 »

Good News, I just measured the R1 Forks and they match up with the CBR forks in terms of where they mount with the Triple. Looks like I wont have to buy new parts there...

deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by deadbanana0717 »

Looks like I'm not going to get any sleep today. Thoughts of getting my bike up into a Rolling Chassis is keeping me up all night. I hope life doesn't get in the way and dampen this motivation. :D

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:One thing I would do, if you have not already planned for it, is bracing the frame. You basically build a new bike and take everything down to the frame and motor, so why not address the weakest part in the CBX. Between the rear swingarm axle and the steering neck, the hardware really needs some improvement. 8)
Really? Do you disagree with what cbxtacy says about frame stiffness/bracing in this thread?

I was under the impression that our big beloved rectangular prism of a motor is acting as a stressed member, which would suggest to me that the frame should be plenty stiff. But I'm no expert on this stuff - although I'm always interested in learning more.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by deadbanana0717 »

Ive seen other CBX'ers say the same regarding those area... I'm not an engineer but I dont mind the extra added grams...
It will give me more practice with the angle grinder...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote: Do you disagree with what cbxtacy says about frame stiffness/bracing in this thread?

I was under the impression that our big beloved rectangular prism of a motor is acting as a stressed member, which would suggest to me that the frame should be plenty stiff. But I'm no expert on this stuff - although I'm always interested in learning more.
George brushes frame bracing off with one remark. He claims it adds weight and then talks heavily about ground clearance. The fact that the late 70s/early 80s DOHC Hondas all suffered from flexing and wobbling is a well known fact among the owners and was a point that was widely criticized by the contemporary press and testers.
Somewhere else here, Jeff Bennets posted some pictures of frame bracing that he did on a 1980.

deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by deadbanana0717 »

I didn't mean to sound like I was brush off the bracing recommendation, I will be doing that in my build. I haven't owned or Ridden a CBX so all I can do is Draw from everyone's advice. =) I was just thinking a little extra bracing and Rigidity never hurt...

I already priced out some Angle grinders I want to pick up. and emailed some local shops for pricing on some steel tubing :D

deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by deadbanana0717 »

Syscrush = George?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

No, guys, cbxtacy = George.
Phil asked whether I disagree with his statements in the therad he refers to.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

deadbanana0717 wrote:Syscrush = George?
No, cbxtacy = George.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by deadbanana0717 »

Oh, Me so solly for the confusion. I thought he was calling me by my name :D im Also a George.. -_-;

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:George brushes frame bracing off with one remark. He claims it adds weight and then talks heavily about ground clearance. The fact that the late 70s/early 80s DOHC Hondas all suffered from flexing and wobbling is a well known fact among the owners and was a point that was widely criticized by the contemporary press and testers.
Thanks for the clarification. Do the DOHC4 Hondas have the engine as a stressed member? I know a little about SOHC4 Hondas, learning more and more about the CBX, but I'm pretty ignorant about the DOHC4's. To me it was plausible that the use of the engine as a stressed member would mean that the CBX would not benefit from bracing the same way that the 4-cylinder bikes do. It was also plausible that the flexy, undersized forks would cause enough handling issues to make the frame seem suspect.

It's also plausible to me that bracing is a good idea - especially when upgrading to better modern suspension/wheels/brakes/rubber.
Somewhere else here, Jeff Bennets posted some pictures of frame bracing that he did on a 1980.
Yes, I've seen it.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

EMS wrote: The fact that the late 70s/early 80s DOHC Hondas all suffered from flexing and wobbling is a well known fact among the owners and was a point that was widely criticized by the contemporary press and testers.
This was intended to include the CBX (It is a DOHC). I did not mean to bash the DOHC 4s. But both the CB900F Bol d'Or and the CBX when they hit the market in 1978 and 1979 in Europe were hammered for their poor handling in turns and at high speeds. Wobbling and tanking were their most prominent features.
When the 900F came out over there it first had the same 35mm front forks as the CBX. Then it evolved to 39mm over an intermediate 37mm front end. In the U.S. it came out in 81 with a 39mm which minimized the obvious problems slightly.This and the lower speeds the bike was operated under in the U.S. kept the terrible handling somewhat "under cover".

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks again.

I don't think anyone would construe it as bashing to point out that 70's & 80's bikes had famously flexy frames. :lol:

From reading that post by cbxtacy, I thought that maybe the CBX was an exception, but it seems I was over-optimistic.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

Brad here. I'm down to my 81 frame right now and am considering frame bracing for my cafe build. Any pix of work already done would be much appreciated.
Thank you!
/r
B

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

Found this. 4007

Looking for pics of steering head bracing.
Brad

Return to “Project Threads”