Project CBX - Need help picking parts.

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Project CBX - Need help picking parts.

Post by cbx6ss »

Hmmmm... Wonder how I would fit the prolink progressive shock in there? Verified that indeed is an 80 frame.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Ola, George! Getting your build on are you? Good on ya!
I looked into the, suggested, reinforcement. In the end, I decided against proceeding with it for a few reasons. My only handling issue, after the fact, is the threat of dragging that big-assed 6-1 collector when entering right-handers. But, I never envisioned chasing Ducatis through apexes with the Honda. If nothing else, the weight and wheelbase of the 'X' conspire against that. Bear in mind that modern sport bikes are engineered to work with long swing arms. Grafting these onto our bikes will slow the already heavy CBX steering. You can play with the lowered front end, that modern forks provide, as well as your rear arm's geometry to compensate for this fact. Within the limits that I operate the bike, I am more than satisfied with the outcome.
On that note, I 'lucked out' in my choice of Suzuki suspension parts. The swing arm was, relatively, easy to fit up. The fact that it was a good fit in the threaded sections of the Six's frame, solved a lot of potential problems. I imagine fitting any other type of arm would bring issues of pivot shaft fittment into the mix.
George mentions using the Yamaha parts as a matter of cutting costs. Honestly, perhaps I'm jaded from having bought Ducati parts for years, but I still can't get over how cheap used current-model, Jap suspension bits go for. I'd tell you what I paid for my rear bits, but you wouldn't believe me :-)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

cbx6ss wrote:Found this. 4007

Looking for pics of steering head bracing.
Brad
Yes ss this is an 80 frame, a 79 and 80 would benefit from this type of bracing, especially a 79 because they don't even have that small brace that forms the triangle you see on the side of the frame below the side cover.

The 81/82 already have this type of bracing used to mount the top of the pro-link shock, I'm not sure why Honda didn't move that brace rearward like the bracing I did on the 80 above but they must have felt it was sufficient. I have another 80 frame that is braced similar to the one above with the addition of a piece of flat stock that has a few holes drilled in it and it's welded in that triangle space below the side cover.

The steering head and backbone of the X are pretty stout but I have added strapping on the tube that comes down from the steering head and connects to the outer frame, the straps are welded up high close to the top of the steering head, one on each side.

deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by deadbanana0717 »

Hey MIke! Thanks for having me over the other day, I finally got a chance to see your masterpiece in person. It looks really nicely put together that I'm really need to think about how the R1 swingarm will look if mounted, and considering all the work involved I'm sure its not something I want to do over and over.

deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by deadbanana0717 »

Once upon a time this is what the bike looked like...

I was contemplating putting on a 848 Swingarm since the VFR and 748? Seems to be another popular choice for SSSA for the CBX Builds... I wanted to try something new but after some consideration, the curves on the swingarm just doesnt seem to complement the Engine... Thoughts?

So I poked around the internet to see what others were doing, and GSX, and ZX10 seemed to really look nice with the bike. I have a bunch of R1 parts kicking around so I was thinking about throwing those on... but Im not a fan of the huge rear fender... something small would look nice, or perhaps none at all ( but that will make the bike reallly dirty after a bunch of rides. )

Perhaps it just looks so wrong because its missing so many pieces. ??

Would be nice to use some R1 Parts... Then some of the stuff would be interchangeable. or Cheaper for upgrades... If i Upgrade my R1 then I will automaticaly have an uprade for my CBX?

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

I had the chance to meet with George yesterday at , Stately, Common manor.
He's a keener, that lad. Sooooo many ideas. You've nothing but time, George. You seem to be going about it properly so far. Continue to 'spitball' ideas before finalizing your plans. Don't start until you have a firm direction that you want to take the build.
On that note, you may not want to hear this, but......seeing that 848 arm resting there, it looks pretty Gangsta !
I had to laugh too......your garage looks a little ( no pun intended ) like mine :D

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I really think you should go with the 848 arm. I agree that it doesn't look right with the motor, but I think it would look very good with the kind of blobby prolink tank.

Fit the tank on there and see if you agree or disagree. 8)
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

A big part of using a single sided swingarm is showing it off, which means using an undertail exhaust.
A whole new headache.
Fab work like this is way out of my league but given the choice i would go with the R1 swinger and lose the fender. Just keep it out of the dirt and rain.

deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by deadbanana0717 »

I found a guy some where near me with a Motorcycle Jack/Lift for $50! LOL!! Going to go pick it up Thursday Night.
Then I will try to prop my CBX on it, Raise it lower it accordingly to lay down a few pieces near it to get an idea of what may or may not work...

Some what an unfair comparison of the R1 swingarm cuz it doesnt have the same geometry and thinking of putting on the seat, tank and kerkers to see which would look best.
Snap some photos to share, sit down with a lawn chair, and see which route to go... I want this thing up on its wheels asap...

:D I hope to have more photos to share soon! If not actual work work, I can still dress up my CBX in different clothes for you all :D

patzx12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by patzx12 »

I did some more work on my special, using the B-King tipple clamps would ruin the handling and limit the steering lock, the offset is too short. I milled up some billet tipple clamps with the original offset. see my youtube.

(Moderator fixed the link)

There is a handy rake - trail calculator you can use. http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/advchoppercalc.html
The chassis set up is starting to look right.
I now have 3 CBX i bought another Pro-link last Friday, am i the only one who prefers the Prolink over the Z?
I will post some pic,s this week.

deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by deadbanana0717 »

:eek:

With high hopes of building my own streetfighter bike I picked up the interest to mig weld. After seeing some nice ideas for welding tables and pricing out steel... I realized welding aint a cheap hobby... (should have known from the gloves helmet welder and other stuff...)

I found something I thought id modify until I had a budget to build a nice welding table.

Specimen A... some sort of metal cabinet... it had a shelf inside that prevented storing my mig welder neatly so I thou[album][/album]ght id cut it out and weld it back together... probably makes for good practice....

Eager to play with some new toys I went at it... almost finished the dismembering process and got too gung ho with the angle grinder...

The 11th commandment. .. respect thy angle grinder... or any power tool that cuts/makes metal like butter. ( migs tigs etc.)

I almost list my pinky and my right nutt....

Lol...

deadbanana0717
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by deadbanana0717 »

patzx12 wrote:I did some more work on my special, using the B-King tipple clamps would ruin the handling and limit the steering lock, the offset is too short. I milled up some billet tipple clamps with the original offset. see my youtube.

Wow Patz! thats amazing stuff... are you going to put those for sale? :D Cough cough...

patzx12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by patzx12 »

No plans to do anything commercial, i am too busy making heart stents and Catheters.
I recently made up some alternator kits for use on my own bikes. I will post some pic's one the bike it back together.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Jeff Bennetts wrote: Yes ss this is an 80 frame, a 79 and 80 would benefit from this type of bracing, especially a 79 because they don't even have that small brace that forms the triangle you see on the side of the frame below the side cover.

I don't believe it is an '80 frame. The 80s neither had the vertical bar that forms the triangle. Here is picture of my 80 project.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

EMS wrote:
Jeff Bennetts wrote: Yes ss this is an 80 frame, a 79 and 80 would benefit from this type of bracing, especially a 79 because they don't even have that small brace that forms the triangle you see on the side of the frame below the side cover.

I don't believe it is an '80 frame. The 80s neither had the vertical bar that forms the triangle. Here is picture of my 80 project.

Take a closer look Mike, do you see the swingarm pivot adjusters? 79's didn't have those, the vertical bar thing is my mistake, the PO put that on there before I did the triangulation under the battery box, the late models have those from the factory though.

Have you made any headway on that 80 project yet?

Return to “Project Threads”