cbx 79/80/project

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
keilyrd01
New Member & Happy To Be Here

cbx 79/80/project

Post by keilyrd01 »

hi guys im in the middle of restoring a 79/80 cbx i think it might be an 80 as the engine number starts scill attach some pics if i can

keilyrd01

Re: cbx 79/80/project

Post by keilyrd01 »

pics have gone in the gallery instead of on this thread sorry / but im crap with computers lol :sad-roulette:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

This will be interesting to dig in deeper. Wheels look like 79s from away. Front forks, rear shocks, tailpiece support are 80. VIN number should tell. Engine number will be interesting too.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Looks great Kelly, and you're pretty far along. Mind some free advice? Those look like stock coils, look them over closely for cracks. And if those carb insulators are original, they can be hard as a rock and a pain to get to seal. Randakk's sells nice reproductions made from modern materials that work great.

Looks awesome! Keep posting! We love a good project!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

keilyrd01

Post by keilyrd01 »

hi guys a wee bit more info
i origonally bought the bike here at a bike shop in perth the seller said it was an import from south africa all the paper work seems to support this and all correct , but heres the intresting bit lol / the wheels are comstar / not reversed comstar / and were painted black even on the inside of the of the spokes it deff looked like a factory finnish to me . but i always thought only the reverse comstars were factory painted black ....

the engine number is sc03e-2001143 vin no sc03200 1117 cant read the frame no as ive powder coated it now so just goin by the paper work so im pretty sure its an 80 ,
and another intresting part is the front forks have an air valve on the top ,,,,,

thanks for the tips noblehops , ive had the coils of and stripped down as i had the brackets re zinc coated i inspected them and they seemed fine no cracks , the carb rubbers seem to have no cracks in them either and still seem plyible i guess ill only find out when i try and fit the carbs lol if i cant ill order new ones

i have some phots i took before i started doin the bike up ill add them if i can ,,

can u advise what is the easiest way of putting the carbs back on to the rubbers / i thought of using sash window claps 1 on each side of the engine with a block of wood behind the carbs and tightning the clamps slowly ,

thanks again neil mc pherson ,, :text-thankyouyellow:

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

keilyrd01 wrote:can u advise what is the easiest way of putting the carbs back on to the rubbers / i thought of using sash window claps 1 on each side of the engine with a block of wood behind the carbs and tightning the clamps slowly
The carbs are very easy to put back, assuming you do 3 things correctly:

1. Undo the intake rubber collars as much as you can (yes) on BOTH their sides: carbs AND inlet manifolds
2. Spray the inside of the rubbers with SILICON lubricating spray, NOT WD-40, and do the same on the carb outputs.
3. Use your heat gun (hair drier) to nicely warm up the carb rubbers

If you do this, you get hold of one end of the rack and have a friend feeding the other, they will go in in no time, and in a very satisfying way.
Only then, you begin to tighten the collars, being very careful to ensure they are correctly located in their slots.

Needless to say you MUST attach the throttle cables, BEFORE you put back the carbs. And please don't ask how I know :sad-roulette: ... just trust me.

Hope this helps
Aris
Last edited by Kool_Biker on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

keilyrd01 wrote:hi guys a wee bit more info
i origonally bought the bike here at a bike shop in perth the seller said it was an import from south africa all the paper work seems to support this and all correct , but heres the intresting bit lol / the wheels are comstar / not reversed comstar / and were painted black even on the inside of the of the spokes it deff looked like a factory finnish to me . but i always thought only the reverse comstars were factory painted black ....

the engine number is sc03e-2001143 vin no sc03200 1117 cant read the frame no as ive powder coated it now so just goin by the paper work so im pretty sure its an 80 ,
and another intresting part is the front forks have an air valve on the top ,,,,,

thanks for the tips noblehops , ive had the coils of and stripped down as i had the brackets re zinc coated i inspected them and they seemed fine no cracks , the carb rubbers seem to have no cracks in them either and still seem plyible i guess ill only find out when i try and fit the carbs lol if i cant ill order new ones

i have some phots i took before i started doin the bike up ill add them if i can ,,

can u advise what is the easiest way of putting the carbs back on to the rubbers / i thought of using sash window claps 1 on each side of the engine with a block of wood behind the carbs and tightning the clamps slowly ,

thanks again neil mc pherson ,, :text-thankyouyellow:
Hey Neil,

That's odd re the wheels, those are 79-style Comstars for sure, never saw a set that was black on a CBX - maybe they were sourced from another bike? Someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

I too have an '80, #49, which was the 28th one made according to the VIN decoder here: http://www.cbxclub.com/xvital.html#vital
Your VIN indicates a Japanese-built bike, like mine.

Easiest way to share photos in my opinion is to make an online gallery using something like Photobucket or Smugmug, upload your photos there, and then link to them. You can certainly upload them here and there is a lot of value to that too, I personally find it a bit fiddly.

The difficulty of carb installation is overblown - it's no big thing. Just make certain that you have installed the carb and choke cables FIRST (and haven't mixed them up!), loosen the clamps fully, then take a heat gun or hair dryer and carefully heat up the insulators till they smell bad and are pliable. Reach around from the front of the engine and bear hug it wiggling the rack a bit and POP!, they'll go right on. Engine has to be tilted to reinstall the airbox obviously and the rear-most airbox chamber has to be installed before the engine is righted too, don't ask me how I know this :-).

Air caps were on my bike too, conventional wisdom is to NOT pressurize the fork, but there is other fork tuning info here, it's been repeated so many times a search should find it easily.

Welcome!

N.
Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Haha, what Aris said!

N.
Nils Menten

keilyrd01

Post by keilyrd01 »

thanks guys ill try that when i get the carbs back / were moving house in 3 weeks so gonna be a wee while before i get onto the next step / mind you ill probobly do it in the new lounge if im allowed lol
' thanks again ,, :lol:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

keilyrd01 wrote:hi guys a wee bit more info

neil mc pherson ,, :text-thankyouyellow:

That's standard on all '80s. They had air assist forks.

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

NobleHops wrote:Haha, what Aris said!

N.
What can I say Nils!

We seem to have very similar scars from our years with our beloved CBXs :text-+1:

Aris.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

"Scars are souvenirs you never lose"

:-)

N.
Nils Menten

Return to “Project Threads”