'Diamond in the rough'

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 'Diamond in the rough'

Post by bikeymikey748 »

re Idle issues;...Carb sync... There is no close; the sync has to be right on to enjoy the full monty...
So,true.Once at operating temp mine will idle contentedly (even when set,laughingly,low ) until the engine cases overheat and melt away. Honest, I've no fueling issues at all....with the exception of the motor getting to op temp, and the idle speed needing to be adjusted to compensate the, different, demands of a cold & hot motor. Liquid-cooled motors are a different matter seeing as the operating temps are much more uniform. Seems, any, air-cooled, bike I've owned has exhibited the same trait. My SR500 was famous for needing different idle speed settings between hot and cold running. If the idle speed wasn't 'bumped up' just after shutting it down after a ride, it would be too low for the bike to run at the next cold start. Happily, the X's tendencies aren't that pronounced, still they're evident and the idle speed adjust mod really helps out in that regard.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Not sure why you think the bike SHOULD idle properly when cold. The carbs have a fast idle feature that, if properly set up, will take care of the brief (hopefully) time you may be at idle when cold. My recommendation is always to get the bike moving ASAP after starting. I really don't see your bike as having a 'unique' problem in that regard. Jetting, however, may be another story. Your bike should get 30 mpg at least, even with your mods, when jetted properly. Still pretty rich, it sounds like, which is typical of the Stage 3 kits (if that's what you have). Some fiddling is needed. But from past experience and other's as well, you've done what's near impossible - having a heavily modded CBX work near perfect on the first try. Congrats.

Dave

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

The carbs have a fast idle feature that, if properly set up,
Yup, no worries, that function works like a charm. It's when you take the choke off, and the motor's still cold, the idle has to be adjusted slightly higher to compensate. Actually, Dave, it's a non-issue. That's just the way it is with, big, air-cooled motors, no?
Still pretty rich, it sounds like, which is typical of the Stage 3 kits (if that's what you have). Some fiddling is needed
Agreed, but....those carbs are NOT getting yanked off, again (especially seeing as the bike runs stonking strong), until there's snow on the ground and hot coffee on my workbench :lol:

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

One more time Thank you for sharing an awsome build thread!

Once I heard someone say "Better is the enemy of good enough"... Sounds like your masterpiece is dialed in "close enough" for this riding season. Go ride the wheels off it, as you start making your list of "engineering changes" for the off-season.
/r
B

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Amazing build, just read the whole thing.

Wow.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Ten Thousand visits to the thread?
I am blown away. I thought that there might be a certain amount interest, but this much?!
Go team!

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Sounds low to me.

This is an amazing bike and the world is full of people who would love to spend some time ogling it. :)
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

bikeymikey748 wrote:Didn't get much done until late in the week.

Lastly , on a similar note, I managed to nick the inboard seal/spacer, on the RH primary shaft bearing, with a claw from my slide-hammer. Apparently, another unavailable part ( center in the photo, #39 in the illustration). ;

Ideally, I'de like to replace it too, but as it is, apparently unavailable (???), I wonder. It sits at the end of that particular oil gallery. Downstream of it (and unaffected) is the spray bar for the primary chain ( #2 in the illustration). It (#39) seems to keep as much oil as possible on the ,open ball-element, RH primary shaft bearing ( oil pressure drops off to zero in this area, I imagine). The other oil seal (#38) will be replaced....How critical is its function as a 'seal'??
Yikes!!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Re-use the old one.

Dave

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

daves79x wrote:There are some really cool things you can do with a naked late model (CBX, that is). They take on a whole new personality when you remove the bags and fairing.
Dave
Ohhh, can't wait for this Spring… Can you say "Cafe"?
/r
Brad

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Ohhh, can't wait for this Spring… Can you say "Cafe"?
Brad.....what are you up to :o

p.s. I picked up my seal from Tim's for something like $25.00 USD (if memory serves).

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

"Brad.....what are you up to??"

;^)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

cbx6ss wrote:"Brad.....what are you up to??"

;^)
You are a bad man, trolling in early winter without photos to tide everyone over :teasing-poke:
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

NobleHops wrote:
cbx6ss wrote:"Brad.....what are you up to??"

;^)
You are a bad man, trolling in early winter without photos to tide everyone over :teasing-poke:
It will look much more photogenic when I find a set of .25 over rings so I can button things up...

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

My apologies, for dragging this thread back into the daylight.
As I'm just shy of my first 20,000km., should blow past that mark this weekend, I thought I might share a, short, update.
Nothing I have stays untouched for long, not even the 'X'.
I put on a seat cowl, for the Ducati item I have. I thought it finished the look nicely.

Additionally, I just mounted, yet another, rear sprocket. The build originally rolled with the stock 43T Suzuki. The Honda had little problem lifting it's front wheel under acceleration, and spinning WAY past redline in 5th. gear. Honestly, looking at similarly modded bikes running 17" wheels and what looks like the stock gearing of the donor bikes, I'm left scratching my head. I my case, the difference in circumferences didn't seem that great. In reality, the bike was VERY under-geared. I've worked my way down to a 38T now. It's taching , roughly, 5,000rpm. @ 120km./hr. (75mi./hr.). I'm happier with that. This seems my last option, there's only just ENOUGH clearance between the upper chain run and the swingarm.
Oh and, I just talked myself into getting these. My reasoning is that it should help my, sometimes sloppy, upshifts. The 'throw' will be more for the same lever travel. Having just tried them out, I have to say I continue to be amazed at how much difference a matter of inches make to your comfort level. These make a, noticeable, improvement. Besides, with the grey & red anodizing, they look, tailor-made, made for the 'X'.

My high beam got treated to a HID conversion. Kits are available for a pittance, online. It's MUCH brighter, should last longer, and draws less juice. Win, Win, Win.
I'm also a few thousand km. into my first set of sport-touring tires. Habitually, I rolled on sport rubber. I liked the additional grip they offered, though in never used them to their full potential. Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs were my tire of choice. But....the Pilot Road 4s are really impressing me. They seem to stick every bit as well as the pure sport rubbers. You can brake ferociously with them, and then there's the promise of MUCH increased tire life. I'll report back when they're due for replacement.
It's nice to bump into some of you, following on CBX FaceBook pages. Good fun, but sites like this one are invaluable. I owe a debt to you all, for the help you've offered. Checking in here, is like dropping in on old friends :D

Return to “Project Threads”