CBX Modification Questions

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
StuDog
New Member & Happy To Be Here

CBX Modification Questions

Post by StuDog »

Hi my fellow CBX enthusiasts! Let me introduce myself and share some questions that I have.
I had been a toolmaker/tooling manager for 18 years. The company I worked for decided to close the plant I was in to consolidate with one of the bigger plants. They gave me a choice to relocate, but after some short thinking, I knew what I was going to do. I decided to go to Purdue University and get a BS in Engineering. That was a tough decision to make considering I have a wife, three children, and I was 38 years old, but it will be worth it in the end.

I will graduate soon, and I am going to treat myself to two toys that I have always wanted; a 16 foot flat bottom river boat for catfishing with the family and a 1982 Honda CBX. Ya I know neither one really costs big bucks, but I have always put my family and house (remodeling) first. So this will be a special treat for me for my accomplishment. Don’t worry I am not being self-centered; I plan on a few good things for the wife and children too. My wife wants a 2006 Honda 599 Hornet (CB600F). We plan on getting matching custom paint jobs on the bikes and helmets, a similar theme to the 79-80 Red CBX.

Okay enough about me, let me pick your brains on some things I plan on doing to my CBX and get your input.
I definitely will be buying a 1982 model, but plan on removing the fairing and saddle bags. I like the looks of the naked 81-82 models. I would also like to replace the front forks with something newer with a different size wheel. I would like to change the tire sizes to something like a 130/80R18 on the front tire and a 150/70R18 on the rear tire. I assume the backend will need some work to make that tire fit, so just share some info on a good shop that can do this if needed. I hope to use LED turn signals if I can find a fit.
I want the exhaust to be two 3-in-1 headers. Preferably something similar to this 81, but all chrome:

So what suggestions do you have for making all these changes? What things will I need to do? I am hoping you can give me specific models or part numbers, and a good CBX shop to get the work done at. One shop I was thinking of using is http://www.TimsCBX.com, looks like they do good work.

My friend owns a paint shop and will be doing the paint job, all paint and no stickers. Here’s a link to his website: http://www.ZebulunCustomFinishes.com. I will also be getting a Corbin seat similar to that on the following CB1300. The paint themes for my wife’s and my bike will be similar to this Honda CB1300 with a retro paint theme:
Independant, Fundamental, Young Earth Creation, KJV Bible Believing, Baptist that loves Honda Motorcycles! 8)

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: CBX Modification Questions

Post by Rick Pope »

Stu,

I suggest you contact Jim Zemanek at Cincy Cycles in Cincinnati. He's done a lot of conversions like you are contemplating. He's only at the shop weekends and some evenings. You can email him at "bikes@fuse.net". Delete the quotation marks.

Where are you in Indiana? I'm just west of Cincy. My wife rides an SV650. And BTW, welcome to the group.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

StuDog

Post by StuDog »

Hi Rick!

Thanks for the contact.

We are in Battle Ground, a small town by Lafayette and West Lafayette.

The SV650 is a nice bike, and I assume you drive a CBX correct?
Independant, Fundamental, Young Earth Creation, KJV Bible Believing, Baptist that loves Honda Motorcycles! 8)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, StuDog.
Like Rick said, Jimmy Z does excellent work.
Curious choice on a fat front tire.
What sort of look/riding style are you after?

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I've never been to Battle Ground, but know where it is. Been to Lafayette a few times, Purdue field days and such.

Yup, I ride a CBX on occasion. See signature line.........
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

StuDog

Post by StuDog »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Curious choice on a fat front tire.
What sort of look/riding style are you after?
I don't plan to ride the bike hard, I am way past those days and look forward to just enjoying a cruise/daily ride.
Well every sunny summer day anyways. :wink:
I really miss owning a bike. :cry:
I haven't had one for about ten years.
My last bike was a 1982 Honda CB900F Super Sport.
Had to get rid of it due to some family needs.
And when my wife and I both have a bike, we will do some frequent local joy rides together.
May even go on a few 8 hour trips with my wife from time to time.

Why fat tires, for no other reason than I just think they look cool.
I have always liked taller and fatter tires on all my vehicles.
This goes for both my cars and motorcycles.
Both of our Subaru's have 225/70-15 tires on them, smooth ride and looks more sportier than stock.
Though on motorcycles I have always went with the biggest I could fit on the stock bike which usually is not more than just slightly bigger.
I even had a 1984 Cutlass Supreme that I pulled the v6 engine and dropped a 425 into it.
I put 225/70-15 in front and 295/50-15 on the back.
Those sure were some fun days, that car had torque out the wazuu.
I could smoke the tires by stepping on the gas at any speed under 60.
But like I said, those days are over and I am much wiser now. :wink:
Now I keep to the speed limit, keep safety in mind, and enjoy life. 8)

You are correct a 130 is pretty fat, maybe a 120 or less would be better for the front.
I am not stuck on the sizes that I listed.
They are just some sizes that I came up with using some quick calculations to keep about the same diameter as stock.
I am not sure if lowering the bike would be a good idea as I wouldn't want to have ground clearance issues.
Though I don't see many speed bumps in my area, I would hate to bottom out on one or have issues at other times.
How much lower can the bike go and still be good for an everyday rider?
Since I don't own the bike yet, I am not familiar with how much ground clearance the bike has.

I was also considering 17 inch wheels since they are more common.
But again I was not sure what that would do to ground clearance, or looks.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Ground clearance is not the only issue with different wheels. Changing to wider and/or smaller wheels will affect steering and handling of the bike, and not always for the better. Make sure you check with others for proven combinations to avoid (maybe dangerous) disappointing results. Swingarm length and steering neck rake angle work together with tire size to provide the steering and handling characteristics of a bike. Good looks may not always be good geometry and many modern bike wheel sizes are just not the right choice for a CBX with stock forks and swingarms.

StuDog

Post by StuDog »

Thanks EMS for pointing that out.
I wasn't planning on doing any of this blindly.
That's why I am asking for input before I have the bike, so I can do my research and pick your brains.
So if you know of any good front forks or swingarm and tire combinations, let me know.
I will only have the work done by a professional with this type of experience.
I figured the front forks and swingarm would be replaced or modified somehow, but I will get professional input on that.
Just because I like more rubber, doesn't mean I will have to do it.
Like you stated, safety and handling are important.
I can tell you for sure that I would be happy with stock wheels/tires if that ends up being the wise decision.
Just owning a bike again and a CBX at that, will make me a very happy camper. :wink:

If I did do this, since the wheel sizes would change, I would have to buy new wheels.
I really like the HoleShot Eclipse wheels and would probably buy 17" x 3.50" for front and 17" x 6.26" for the rear.
See picture below.

Again thanks EMS for bringing those issues up, I appreciate the wisdom and your concern. 8)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Welcome! Your idea of making a naked Pro-Link is a good one. The first thing you should consider is upgrading the pathetic rear shock. That will be the single biggest improvement you can make.

As for wheels, several Honda ones from the period will work, but the most common ones are the 1100F US ones. Everyone lusts after Canadian gold ones, but they are scarce in any condition. US ones are still readily available. They are 2.5x18" front and 3x17" rear. 110/80 front and 140/80 rear is about perfect. You do need the brakes and hardware for that conversion. It's pretty bolt-on.

Any modern 5 or 6 inch rear wheel will take much more work, and you will have to fab strong, single-sided dogbone linkages for the stock ones to allow a wider rear tire.

As Mike said, ground clearance is a real problem with smaller wheels and low-profile tires. The 18-17 combo with 80 series tires is fine, but smaller will be a problem.

Rick's advice about contacting Jim Zemanek (sp) is the best. He's done all kinds of custom conversions with more modern suspension and wheels and has fabbed lots of neat things. He's your man if you can talk him into it.

Take your time to find the right bike and deciding on the mods you want. Now is the time to buy the bike. Late models are plentiful and relatively cheap right now.

Dave

Return to “Project Threads”