CBX 82 project

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX 82 project

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:03 am

Your experience is why I always add an asterisk when advising people to consider custom triples to dial in the geometry.
yeah gotta know what you're doing when changing the geometry, get it wrong and you risk ending up injured or worse. I don't know much so I keep changes conservative and follow what others have done successfully.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

bikeymikey748 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:35 am
I’ve got GSXR 1000 forks and swingarm (same bits as on ‘Busas I believe). Forks are much shorter though solutions exist if you determine that to be an issue for you
http://www.extremecreations.com.au/fork ... -50mm-75mm
In my own case, I have to be mindful of dragging my exhaust collector if I get frisky in RH turns.
The swing arm is longer than the Pro-Link bit, and acts to slow the steering down.
Sorry, I didn’t take notes so I can’t tell you the actual differences lengthwise.
I’ve a steering damper installed, but figure it’s a superfluous addition.
I have never ridden a more stable and forgiving bike. Road irregularities that would have induced all manner of weave/wobble in my Ducati/CBR/SR pass all but unnoticed under the wheels of the Blob. It can’t be made to misbehave no matter how fast you ride either. As well, it can be hustled through corners without working up a sweat, it’s not like you’re on a barge.
I think you will be happy with the results when all is said and done.
Thats nice. I will do that if I think it gets to low. Easy fix. I guess i have to see how it is when im done. Thanks

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Most, if not all, of the head shake/wobble with the early model can be eliminated by sitting farther forward on the seat. The CBX has about a 50/50 weight bias. Mine shook badly until someone told me to sit forward when riding quickly. What a difference. Of course, when a 300# doofus leans forward, the weight bias changes a good bit.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Rick Pope wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:53 pm
Most, if not all, of the head shake/wobble with the early model can be eliminated by sitting farther forward on the seat. The CBX has about a 50/50 weight bias. Mine shook badly until someone told me to sit forward when riding quickly. What a difference. Of course, when a 300# doofus leans forward, the weight bias changes a good bit.
I've thought the same and wondered if this was a issue unique to the North America spec CBX. US and Canada CBX have handle bars that are taller and reach further back than the CBX sold elsewhere which raises centre of gravity and shift body weight further back. In conversation with a SBK tuner he said body position is critical, he fine tunes a riders position by small increments. As an example he said the human head weighs about 15 lbs, moving it forward, backward, higher or lower even an inch will have an effect.

My head shake has never returned since I converted to lower euro bars . My head shake would be triggered by hitting a dip in the road at high speed compressing the forks so it's also a suspension issue. I installed Racetech emulators as well so it's possible there are several factors at play.

Lower bars, Raceteck emulators, GS1000 swingarm, better (but still not great) shocks and I've not experienced a return to a wobble or shaking.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

wyly wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:12 pm
My head shake has never returned since I converted to lower euro bars . My head shake would be triggered by hitting a dip in the road at high speed compressing the forks so it's also a suspension issue. I installed Racetech emulators as well so it's possible there are several factors at play.

Lower bars, Raceteck emulators, GS1000 swingarm, better (but still not great) shocks and I've not experienced a return to a wobble or shaking.
There are many factors that can play into wallowing, including damping, weight distribution, tire compound and inflation, bike loading, and even aerodynamics.

When I bought my bike, it had Tomaselli clip-ons, which are significantly lower and farther forward than even the Euro setup. But I also had absolutely, dangerously shot cheap aftermarket shocks and worn out OEM damping rod forks - and that bike bucked terribly over any road irregularity in a straight line, and wallowed frighteningly. It also dove hard under braking, which meant that if I discovered midcorner that I had come in too exuberantly, there was nothing to do but hope for the best.

With the damping resolved, I could make the geometry more aggressive (taking out rake and trail) and move my weight back and up a bit, and still have very stable behavior while remaining responsive. Trail braking on rough pavement is a non-issue now.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

This sticker was sitting on my window :mrgreen:
The bike must have been running in California at one point..
Its from a golf course.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

More parts today 😍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Moto gadget :clap: :D Quality tech, installed that on my GS1150efe, it took me awhile before I comprehended how it all worked, very different from oem systems.

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

wyly wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:18 pm
Moto gadget :clap: :D Quality tech, installed that on my GS1150efe, it took me awhile before I comprehended how it all worked, very different from oem systems.
Yes, have been watching videos from revivalcycles, great youtube videos of alot around building a motorcycle. Beside keyless, this have alot of modes around the lights for thos Who likes that. Alarm system also. And it cut power to less important systems if you are getting low on battery. And built in fuses. Easy wiring.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Theggi wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:20 am
More parts today 😍
How high are you gonna rev that thing?
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

Syscrush wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:50 pm
Theggi wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:20 am
More parts today 😍
How high are you gonna rev that thing?
Haha yeah enough there 🤣

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 512tr »

Hi Theggi, where in Norway are you located?

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

Near Haugesund. What about you?

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 512tr »

Far north, a small fjord outside Harstad. :-)

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

Allright 😊 never been that far north yet, but some day i have to.

Return to “Project Threads”