CBX/suzuki GS-Headlight and fairing conversion

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

CBX/suzuki GS-Headlight and fairing conversion

Post by wyly »

I have a massive 80's Suzuki headlight and fairing I've been thinking of putting on my '79, has anyone here done this?

It seems simple enough but I'd like to be aware of any issues I may encounter before I remove the oem gear.

I have the complete GS assembly.

CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: CBX/suzuki GS-Headlight and fairing conversion

Post by daves79x »

You may be talking about a 9 inch Suzuki set-up? Very common conversion back in the day. Hard to find now though. Only fiddly part is the wiring just gets stuffed into the case, no fancy brackets to use. There is lots of room to do it though.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The bucket being 9" across probably means that you won't be able to use the stock headlight bracket.
Lots of options from the cafe crowd with brackets running off the forks. You may need to get ones that have enough space/meat for the turn signals.
Hold the fairing up to the bike and see about mounting points and handlebar interference.
Years ago i had an S fairing on a '80 with the stock head light but i had Superbike bars with the handlebar conversion kit from Rick Pope. The stock bars had me sitting too upright and the wind turbulence from the fairing was helmet height.
I have some pics somewhere.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

No, you just spread the ears a bit and it fits in OK. Really can't tell they're tweaked when everything's assembled.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

I stand corrected.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Measuring everything up, the GS light is 8', with bezel and bucket a massive 9". The fairing opening is 7 5/8" :think:

Here are pics of my GS light and fairing and the new light and fairing. Lots of room around the light on the GS, as it is the new lights bezel would need to sit behind the fairing. Would this affect the light pattern? Do I try trim the fairing opening to a larger size, I'm skeptical of my ability to make a nice round hole. I have seen fairings placed behind the bucket leaving the light to protrude but I think that looks a somewhat odd.

Certainly no issues getting the CBX wiring to fit and I've found a LED conversion for it.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

You are right, wyly. The Suzuki headlight is an 8"
It used to be a popular conversion until they became outrageously expensive. I have two of them, one with the original Suzuki mounting brackets. Never go around to install them.
I would not use the fairing. It looks much better without. The massive headlight really sits prominent.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Lining the fairing up with the headlight on the cbx it's not all that different, I could get the fairing to fit the oem light as well. :think:

Is a larger light worth the extra work??? There's a fair amount of cutting, repairing, fabricating and then painting of the fairing needed.

This is what happens when I can't go out and I've nothing to do, I create problems for myself :lol:
Last edited by wyly on Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

EMS wrote:You are right, wyly. The Suzuki headlight is an 8"
It used to be a popular conversion until they became outrageously expensive. I have two of them, one with the original Suzuki mounting brackets. Never go around to install them.
I would not use the fairing. It looks much better without. The massive headlight really sits prominent.
Thanks for the opinion I hadn't even considered that option, it's something I'll need to think about now.

I was initially going to put it on my fully faired GS and go naked but then I decided there are days I rather enjoy getting out of the wind so the fairing stays on.

I don't know if I paid to much, I got the complete assembly and pillion seat for $300 CDN($223 USD). I'd really like to make use of it rather than let it gather dust on a shelf.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Your fairing is a little different than an S replica so you probably wont have any mounting interference.
A couple old pics.
Standard headlight.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Yes it's similar, I'd need to trim away some of the material on the sides to allow for the indicators. Unlike your fairing mine bolts directly to the headlight bucket/ears , I'm not sure how stable my fairing will be at highway speed connected that way.

EMS's suggestion has got me at a standstill, maybe no fairing at all is best :think: and I've already bought the paint to match the tank and cowl :doh:

Return to “Project Threads”