How about FIVE cylinders?

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

How about FIVE cylinders?

Post by Dynamohum »

It’s not my project and it’s not even a CBX but I thought it would be of interest in engineering if nothing else. Similar to Andreas and his twelve cylinder engineering feat there is a guy from Norway who has fabricated a Suzuki Hayabusa four cylinder into a five cylinder. Take a look at what the finished motor looks like and the giant carbs he’s using. I can point you to the forum if you’re interested in seeing the build pictures in progress. I’m really impressed. Whaddyathink?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: How about FIVE cylinders?

Post by Dynamohum »

:text-coolphotos:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I'll have to post these pics on the Busa forum that I belong to, thanks!

What's the forum this belongs to?

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

That's mental - thanks for sharing!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

:shock: I'm impressed as hell with the mechanical engineering capability some people have, amazing stuff...

but then I still have to ask the question ...why?...wouldn't it be easier and more economical to install a turbo and nitrous that I've seen on another local Busa...and even with one I asked why? do Busa's lack hp ???...ya I know I do same but on a smaller scale, and my mrs asks "why"? :lol:
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Why? --------- I have to think "just 'cause". Quite a machining/fabrication job, too!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

What's new? Sorry to be so unexcited, but I have seen Allen Millyard's Kawasaki 12, 8 and 6 as well as Rick Brett's 2-stroke 7. All great jobs done and awesome conversation pieces, but that is all they are.

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

EMS wrote:What's new? Sorry to be so unexcited, but I have seen Allen Millyard's Kawasaki 12, 8 and 6 as well as Rick Brett's 2-stroke 7. All great jobs done and awesome conversation pieces, but that is all they are.
Well, what’s (not) new is your ability once again, to come off sounding like you’re above us lowly people who appreciate what others have done, “Sorry to be so unexcited” as well as your apparent goal to discount what is a remarkable engineering feat by adding your (opinion) that such accomplishments are merely “conversation pieces...that is all they are”. BTW where have you been for six months? The thread has been up since April. Are you such a qualified engineer or do you buy off the rack like most us do? Snobbery is not a likable trait and I (can’t) be the first guy to tell you this.

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

Sorry to say this Dynamohum but you are the one who is off base.
EMS, stated an opinion, that's all.
Having a differing opinion to you did not make him snobbish.
I can see and appreciate the work and engineering that went into creating a 5 cyl Hyabusa engine. I've seen quite a few well engineered oddities, but like EMS, I also still wonder what was the point?

Mouse
Last edited by Mouse on Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Thank you, Mouse, you said exactly what I wanted to say. 8)
And I am very well aware of the fact that the original post is from April. I made a comment to two recent posts about that.
But I can elaborate a little about where I am coming form on this:
I am an engineer. I have a Masters Degree in mechanical engineering with a major in internal combustion engines.
The reason I am "not so impressed" with these "constructions" is, that they are indeed just conversation pieces, because none of them runs reliable longer than 15 minutes.
I would like to know, how the "engineer" of the five cylinder considered the changed effect of rotational and oscillating masses in his creation and what he did to the crankshaft to maintain an even firing order. Anybody who thinks it is all that easy or not important, should ask someone who installed the camshafts in his CBX according to the first version of the service manual and ended up with a snapped timing chain.
I know there a lot of guys out there who believe they can outdo the factory engineers and come up with something better, and many little minds who worship them.
When someone points out shortfalls and does not bow in the same rhythm, they come back with personal attacks. I am used to this.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Well, I love the crazy 5 cylinder bike and I'm very fond of EMS (my bike literally would not be what it is without his generous sharing of insight and advice - and a swingarm pivot bolt!), so I feel like we're covering all of the necessary ground here. :laughing-rolling:
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “Project Threads”