1979 CBX Barn find in Marysville Ohio

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Cotter1979
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

1979 CBX Barn find in Marysville Ohio

Post by Cotter1979 »

Living in Marysville, Ohio, I've always heard the history of Honda bike manufacturing and, most notably, about the CBX 1000. Recently, I was enlightened on a side story that took place back in 1979. When Honda came to Marysville, in an act of good faith, they donated two CBX 1000s to the local high schools (Marysville & Fairbanks) for the shop classes to breakdown and reassemble as part of the small engines curriculum :lol: Of course, the bikes were too large and complicated for either teacher to deal with so two 125s were sent in their place. Because the CBX 1000s were already taken off the books, the bikes stayed in the possession of the schools. I have since found the Fairbanks High School teacher who told me the bike was stolen in the late 1980s and never seen again. The Marysville High School bike was found and is now in my possession! The bike was missing its gas tank so I have sourced a 1981 tank to replace it but with the tabs its not an exact fit. Also, there is absolutely no paperwork for the gift/sale of this bike so I have no way to title the bike. That being said, this beautiful, monster of a bike only has 18km on it! Not 18,000... 18! (Only 5km from me) I gather the bike was meant for export which is why the speedo in in km. In my non-professional opinion, the bike looks amazing for its age. After blowing off the dust and dirt, and a little elbow grease on the chrome, she's a stunner! The bike even has the original 1979 tires on it! Probably not too safe to ride on 40 year old tires but they look brand new and got me up and down the road just fine :) Along with getting the replacement gas tank, a local mechanic went through the engine, cleaned it up, and replaced some worn gaskets. I paid him $2000 for the tank and his labor. My issue now is that I cannot title this bike and as much as I'd love to keep it in my collection, I think it would serve someone else better either getting it on the road or replacing their worn motor with essentially a brand new one. If there is anyone out there who might be interested in having this rare barn find, reach out to me and maybe we can make a deal.
-cotter1979@yahoo.com

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: 1979 CBX Barn find in Marysville Ohio

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Cotter,

If you are interested to keeping such a gem, this might be a help. (New owner, if You don't.) Could help others, too, who might have title/registration issues.

http://www.motorcycleconsumernews-digit ... =NaN#pgNaN
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “Project Threads”