79 CBX - We'll see where this goes...

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Keith64
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

79 CBX - We'll see where this goes...

Post by Keith64 »

Last fall while looking for a CB400f I found a guy who had one and also a 79 CBX. Both were pretty rough non-runners but I couldn't pass up a package deal.

I removed most of the mouse debris, changed the oil and sprayed WD40 down the cylinders before I stored it. I recently had some time so I pulled it out of storage again, sprayed the cylinders and all the fasteners down. Right now I'm in the process of stripping stuff off to see what's broke.

My plan is to see what it takes to get it running first. Eventually I'd like to restore it but I'll go after it bit by bit. I'm pretty new to vintage bikes.

First steps will be to pull the carbs, and get an ignition key code (currently doesn't have a key).

I'll have questions along the way and would appreciate advise from guys that have done this before!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 CBX - We'll see where this goes...

Post by spencer »

I don't want to start a long discussion, but WD-40 is about the last thing I would spray in my cylinders. It is not a lubricant.
SCH Rochester, MN

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Happy to follow along on another resto.
Are you hoping to go back to original? If not the Emgo ignition key and cylinder works fine.

Did you get the 400F finished?
Feel free to post a pic or two.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

About that key. If you pull the ignition switch (2 6mm bolts) you will find a number on the switch.
Any decent locksmith will be able to cut you a key from that number and the key should fit all
of the locks. Ignition, gas tank, and helmet lock. Looking at the photos it appears to be all there
and original except for the missing tail cowl and the exhaust. You have a good prospect for restoration.
Best of luck on the restoration.
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Keith64
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Keith64 »

Thanks for the input.

Yes eventually i'd like to restore the CBX back to as original as possible. But I'll do it in phases, first I just want to get it running and find out what else it will need.

I'm in the process of removing the carbs, I'll post up a pic once i pull the bowls off. Sounds like I should get Mike Nixon's book before I go too far into the carbs?

Regarding WD40 at this point I'm just trying to free up corroded-together components from sitting the last who knows how many years, I'm guessing some of them outdoors.

Here's a pic of the 400f. It's more of a fun / track bike, although I may do some more restore down the road.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Very nice 400F. One of my all time favorite Honda's.
On another note, I think that the exhaust on your CBX
is a set of Jardine's if I am correct.
Best,
Phil

Keith64
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Keith64 »

I don't know what exhaust it is. I removed it and didn't see any markings.

Keith

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Regarding WD40 at this point I'm just trying to free up corroded-together components from sitting the last who knows how many years, I'm guessing some of them outdoors.

I believe the comment was intended to let you know WD-40 is a poor penetration liquid. There are many better choices. WD is best left to removing adhesives and chewing gum.

If you can find it, Kroil is very good. PB Blaster is okay, and easy to find.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

I highly recommend a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF as a penetrating lubricant.
Cheap and very effective.
Best,
Phil

Keith64
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Keith64 »

Carbs are off. Some nasty stuff came out of them but they look much better than the carbs on my 400F. I won't go further until I get Mike Nixon's book.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

You should definitely plan on pulling out the pressed in idle jets.
On the upside, they really don't look too terribly bad. There
should be a happy ending.
Best,
Phil

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Not bad at all. They will clean up nicely.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Keith64
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Keith64 »

Project update: Carbs 4-6 are done. They were in surprisingly good shape given the condition of the rest of the bike. The only issue I had was a pull bolt snapped on the #4 slow jet. I just started work on 1-3 carbs.

I started looking at the electrical, I think there's a fault in the starter motor, as soon as the start button is pushed the power cuts out. I pulled the battery box off to get better access to the electrical components and pulled the starter. Any input / advise on the electrical would be appreciated.

Here's where it sits now:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I assume you separated the carbs to clean them and install new O-rings? If you happened not to, you'd better go ahead now and do it. They'll leak if you don't. Wet test your finished carbs on the bench for 24 hours before installing. Also confirm accelerator pump operation whilst on the bench. Bench sync the throttle plates also while there. Get them as extremely close as possible. Any questions on all that, just shout.

Dave

Keith64
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Keith64 »

Dave, yes the carbs have been separated and each component cleaned. Mike Nixon's book is being followed and he's answered a couple questions for me. New o-rings and other soft parts are being installed from Randakk rebuild kit. All the hard parts look good so far. I haven't sync'd them, still working on the cleaning / rebuild of 1-3. I'll include a wet test thanks for the input.

Any advise on the starter motor? I have no resistance between the hot terminal and ground so I'm assuming there's an internal short.

Also on the ignition, I haven't tested anything out, but are the spark units likely to have problems?

Thanks - Keith

Return to “Project Threads”