79 CBX - We'll see where this goes...

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 CBX - We'll see where this goes...

Post by tevan »

I would test starter with 12 volts on bench.. if nothing there.. open it up and if you are lucky it just needs brushes. There are a lot of used ones out there and new ones also on fleabay. I believe they used them starters on other engines. I might be wrong on that though. I can probably come up with one if interested.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Spark units likely OK. Clean connections. Don't worry too much about any black goo you see oozing out. You can take starter apart and check components. Sounds like you are the right track with the carbs.

Dave

Keith64
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Keith64 »

The starter didn't work on the bench so I pulled it apart. There was a bit of carbon / rust build up but I didn't see anything glaringly wrong. So I cleaned it up put it back together, surprisingly it worked I guess you get lucky sometimes. The motor is turning over.

Last of the carbs have been cleaned, still need to assemble the rack, sync and test.

I'll start looking at the ignition system. I think I'l take the clutch apart to make sure nothing is stuck together before I pull the oil pan and replace the oil / filter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Shiny!
Have those carb parts been run through an ultrasonic cleaner?

Keith64
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Keith64 »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Shiny!
Have those carb parts been run through an ultrasonic cleaner?
No, they went through two rounds of Berryman's carb dip & manual cleaning / spraying. They weren't too bad to begin with. The internals cleaned up great, the external castings aren't great but much better than they were to start with.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Keith64 wrote:Dave, yes the carbs have been separated and each component cleaned. Mike Nixon's book is being followed and he's answered a couple questions for me. New o-rings and other soft parts are being installed from Randakk rebuild kit. All the hard parts look good so far. I haven't sync'd them, still working on the cleaning / rebuild of 1-3. I'll include a wet test thanks for the input.

Any advise on the starter motor? I have no resistance between the hot terminal and ground so I'm assuming there's an internal short.

Also on the ignition, I haven't tested anything out, but are the spark units likely to have problems?

Thanks - Keith
a local cbx owner told me the starter from a cb750 is a good replacement, I don't that to be true personally .
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Keith64
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Keith64 »

I've been distracted with other stuff but here's where I'm at:

Carbs: I put them back together, set the float levels and bench synchronized. During the first leak test I had a couple carbs with fuel weeping out the bowl drain so I put in a couple new needles, otherwise no other leaks. I have one problem, on two of the carbs I'm not getting any fuel out the accelerator nozzle when manually operating the pump. They were blowing clean when I had the carbs apart. So I need to figure out how to get those circuits working hopefully without disassembling the rack.
20170817_130116.jpg
I took the clutch apart. My attempt at making a lock-nut tool failed so I had to buy one. I just cleaned everything up to make sure it's not stuck. It could probably use new plates / discs.
20170714_210541.jpg
I pulled the oil drain pan, nothing alarming in the pan. On the screen looked like some type of gasket material stuck in there so I pulled off as much as I could.
20170628_184252.jpg
Today I checked the compression results are: 100, 125, 100, 120, 140, 130 (psig).

Also checked for spark. It's there but hard to see the spark so maybe a little weak. I haven't cleaned up all the connections yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

For the accelerator pump, pull #3 bowl and blow 100 lbs of air through the pump manifold. Observe fuel blowing out all 6 nozzles. You can squirt brake cleaner into the manifold to retest.

Dave

Keith64
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Keith64 »

daves79x wrote:For the accelerator pump, pull #3 bowl and blow 100 lbs of air through the pump manifold. Observe fuel blowing out all 6 nozzles. You can squirt brake cleaner into the manifold to retest.

Dave
Thank you Dave, the compressed air did the trick all six now have fuel coming out. I had one leaky float during the initial fill, I'll let it sit overnight.

Keith64
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Keith64 »

She is back from the dead. Started up the second time I pushed the starter. Sounds a little rough and there's a bit of smoke out the left side exhaust when given some throttle. I haven't adjusted the valves or the cam chain.

I tried posting a video but get an "*.mp4 extension not allowed". I'll try something else.

Anyway time for some celebratory beer!!

Keith64
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Keith64 »

Did a little research on the video let's see if this works:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Sounds pretty good to me.

Dave

Keith64
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Keith64 »

Now that it's running I'm starting to look into get it rolling (brakes / wheels). New issues of the day are:

1. The bolts for the front master cylinder reservoir broke up pretty much flush with the housing. I started trying to drill them out.

2. Looks like the brake-side rear wheel bearing retainer had backed out and welded to the collar (the photos are as-found when I took it apart). Any way I can remove the aluminum from the collar, or should I just buy a new one? Also the wheel bearings need a little re-pack :?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Looks like there is a little extra room for grease in that bearing. Yikes.
Never seen a collar like that. How could it have moved sideways?

Keith64
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Keith64 »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Looks like there is a little extra room for grease in that bearing. Yikes.
Never seen a collar like that. How could it have moved sideways?
My guess is the retaining ring for the bearing backed out of the wheel hub and collected on the collar. The retainer was sticking out of the hub with threads showing, maybe it wasn't staked to the hub?

Return to “Project Threads”