Going to the track

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Going to the track

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Here might be a starting place for a battery search. http://www.chromebattery.com/chrome-pro ... arter.html
I've purchased from these guys -- AGM batteries. Delivery and price were excellent. Batteries were good, too.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Jim, i would contact Melchiro from the 1100F site.
He uses velocity stacks of staggered lengths that i think he built himself on his CBX track bike.
#80 primary and #120 mains and runs very well.

I was thinking about that R replica seat from your 900F race bike as well.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If you are able to fit the Harris R tank on the CBX, let us know what you did. I tried to put an R tank on a CBX frame and thought it would require major surgery. Would be very interested to see how to do it. 8)

jkotsi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jkotsi »

Jumping the gun but the styling will follow the 1100R. The Harris tank needs repair work from some off road riding. The tank is baffled to control gas movement so I would prefer to use this tank over the CBX. It was built to fit the F bikes, slightly different than the original R tank. The seat is a copy of the R lighter than the original, not pretty but fine for what I need.

Definitely will be posting pics when I get to that body stage.

Thanks Steve, it's was a long time ago that I read Melchiro's build. Kind of a MacGyver/Da Vinci build. Used what was available and it turned out looking great. Looks like I will need to wait on the stacks then fit what what I can.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

jkotsi wrote: . The tank is baffled to control gas movement so I would prefer to use this tank over the CBX. It was built to fit the F bikes, slightly different than the original R tank. The seat is a copy of the R lighter than the original, not pretty but fine for what I need.

Not sure, that the Harris tank is baffled. The original R tank was, the copies not. I had a Harris R tank and it was not baffled. Even if it is made for the F and not the R, it will be difficult to fit on a CBX frame as the top of the frame is wider then what the R and F tanks will fit unto. :think: Keep us posted. At least I would like to see what you do!

jkotsi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jkotsi »

Its been a while, got approval to mod the suspension to an 89 GSXR swingarm and linkage, going to look into a 2005/6 CBR600RR rear shock. Any used shock I pick up will need a rebuild to match the bikes weight/rider these can be found for a reasonable price.

Waiting for shipping now.

Looking at raising the engine, any guidance? Was thinking that the engine could pivot from one of the rear bolts while trying to keep the counter sprocket, swing arm pivot and axel in line at the half stroke of travel.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Rol raised the engine in his race bike by 1.5" when he went to the 17" wheels.
I think herdygerdy could put you in contact with him.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

jkotsi wrote:
Looking at raising the engine, any guidance? Was thinking that the engine could pivot from one of the rear bolts while trying to keep the counter sprocket, swing arm pivot and axel in line at the half stroke of travel.
Watch for your oil pick-up to be O.K., if you pivot the engine. :think:

jkotsi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jkotsi »

EMS wrote: Watch for your oil pick-up to be O.K., if you pivot the engine. :think:
Thanks, I will be installing the oil pan/pick-up extension kit from TIMS, hopefully applying a few of the CB related mods to the oil system. The goal was to work through the frame, suspension and brakes this season leaving the engine with mostly stock internals.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/wild-fi ... mber-beast

This is an older article on the Beast, lots of info. I will try dropping Rol a note on the frame mods. Forgot how current his frame geo is, 23 degrees with 89mm of trail.

jkotsi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jkotsi »

I heard back from Rol, looks like the rear mounts will be staying as is.

The upper frame, mounts and steering head will be the focus to raise the engine, tighten the steering angle and shorten the wheelbase.

jkotsi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jkotsi »

Plans have changed!

I will be on the side of this sidecar next season in the VRRA and the plan is to finish the season at Barber. You can't drive all the way from Toronto to Alabama and not bring a bike. So, the CBX will be getting an AHRMA approved build.

If I can use the GSXR swingarm it will get twin shocks, otherwise it will be a Pro Link arm with an under brace.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Cool 8) Another guy who is into Hacks. Some 40 years ago, I was racing a rig. I decided to get back into it a few years back and imported a rig from Europe. Unfortunately, AHRMA racing changed quite a bit. Sidecar racing is not a popular thing. Other racers don't like "us" because we supposedly dirty up the track, participation is dismal and the F1 class is basically non-existent in the U.S. My plans got stalled somewhat and the unit is still in storage - more or less like I brought it over. :(

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Are there a lot of differences in the rulebooks?
I have seen some impressive results from you VRRA guys at Daytona.

Being the monkey seems scary to me. What prompted the change?

jkotsi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jkotsi »

EMS wrote:Cool 8) Another guy who is into Hacks. Some 40 years ago, I was racing a rig. I decided to get back into it a few years back and imported a rig from Europe. Unfortunately, AHRMA racing changed quite a bit. Sidecar racing is not a popular thing. Other racers don't like "us" because we supposedly dirty up the track, participation is dismal and the F1 class is basically non-existent in the U.S. My plans got stalled somewhat and the unit is still in storage - more or less like I brought it over. :(

Great looking rig! The whole race crowd is pretty small in North America, sidecars are the 1%ers in that crowd. Any plans to bring it out? AHRMA updated their engine capacity last year, not sure where they stand on Formula 1 or 2 rigs.

What year is the design and what engine is in there?

I got a crash course as a passenger a few years back on a vintage rig that was XS750 powered. Rode off the track on Sat, top of the podium on Sunday. It was one of the best times I have had on the track.

Rick re-built his rig last winter for his rookie season, had a slow start, dropping the passenger or driving off the track in each of his first four races. The passenger decided sliding wasn't for him and stepped down, Rick was discouraged and listed the rig for sale.

I sent him a WTF note and asked to monkey if he had the rig at Mosport, thought it would be like a roller coaster with the safety's off. Turned out to be better!

Water in the petrol cut the practice to 3/4 of a lap, started the heat race on the last row, passed a few and learned a little. In Sundays we were about 13 seconds/lap faster than Sat and it felt easy. Practice was cut short with a broken axel mount, you can see in the pic the passenger wheel looks slightly off camber. A new team was formed though.

Not sure how many races will happen next season, 4 with the VRRA and Barber in October, maybe a couple more.
steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Are there a lot of differences in the rulebooks?
I have seen some impressive results from you VRRA guys at Daytona.

Being the monkey seems scary to me. What prompted the change?
Hi Steve,

The rules in AHRMA are more restrictive than VRRA. Stock eng displacement vs 1155cc max, carb restricted vs any smooth bore, stock frames, swingarms and linkage vs after market of the period or like design, stock body and seat vs period design. I would like to see period endurance race bikes in AHRMA but they don't seem open to but change. The Aussies have a great model for a vintage race platform, that is what inspired me to push for changes in the VRRA, still a ways to go.

Daytona is on the list, don't think it will happen next season.

Not really a change from solo racing, more of an addition to the race weekend.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Return to “Project Threads”