Why do you own a CBX

The fun, the funny, the wacky, and the sublime. Off-topic, humor, whatever. Post it here!
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Why do you own a CBX

Post by wyly »

Mouse wrote:
Joner wrote:Life got in the way for a number of years
:roll: . I can relate to that as well.
I have resolved, finally, to no longer allow "Life" to get in the way of me living it as fully as possible. 8)
that's because you've probably reached a point in your life where you can. The expenses of being married and a parent takes priority over personal indulgences. Now that my kids have jobs and the wife a very good job I can retire to work on the cycle stable in the garage.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

[/quote] The expenses of being married and a parent takes priority over personal indulgences. [/quote]
I agree, But.
I have friends who managed to occationally indulge themselves once and awhile, while I did not. They had the same issue's and problem's of "Life" as I, but managed them better. I decided to stop use-ing "Life" as an excuse for not doing and start managing it better so I can indulge once and awhile. :-)
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

Stevo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Stevo »

Why do I own a CBX, well I rode CB750 Honda's in the 70s, but then got into fast cars for many years, the first bike I really liked the look of was a CB450, but my mates at the time had 750s so I went that way (I restored a CB450 a couple of years ago, sits in my shed and gets ridden often) really didn't know much about the CBX, at the time they were released I was riding a CB900F. A CBX came up on ebay, I thought that would be a cool bike to restore, I enjoy the restore process almost as much as riding them, anyway made a bid, oops! I won! Its a 1981 Prolink it does have all the fairings and paniers, but I will go with a sports style.

CBXJOHNNY
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXJOHNNY »

Bought the bike new when I was dating my wife. We road it from Iowa to west coast and back on honeymoon. Had so much luggage on it,it was hard to pass with full throttle with out wheeling. Will never sell.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

That's a great one, Johnny.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

CBXJOHNNY wrote:Bought the bike new when I was dating my wife. We road it from Iowa to west coast and back on honeymoon. Had so much luggage on it,it was hard to pass with full throttle with out wheeling. Will never sell.
John,

I'd say ya got a pair of keepers. Merry Christmas.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

letxbruce
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by letxbruce »

I would say there were 3 reasons why I bought it. First, in '79 it was the quickest bike. Second, it had a cool factor that appealed to the engineer in me. And third, the hype of the Cycle magazine road test confirmed by a test ride sealed the deal. I have regretted not keeping a lot of my earlier bikes and early on decided that this one would be a keeper. I will keep it after I'm too old to ride it but will fire it up occasionally to keep our juices flowing and occasionally enjoy the view with a couple of shots of good bourbon. I have sold my '80 FLT Shovelhead to my brother-in-law but will probably hang on to my BMW K1200S because I still have the need for speed.

Bruce
Little Rock

tian647
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by tian647 »

I bought my first one as an accident, really. I wanted a new (to me) bike, my criteria were triple disc brakes and more than two cylinders. I was planing on a GS750E or GPZ550 but this one just sorta fell in my lap - ad in the classifieds didn't specify much, just "1979 CBX $950" I went to look at it, fully anticipating a frankenstein repair of a tired, wrecked bike. To my surprise it was quite clean, aside from the unfortunate addition of a Vetter Windjammer III and it wouldn't start. I rolled the dice and bought it, dragged her home and as I was starting to dig in discovered an airbox full of paper towels, one wedged in each carb throat ostensibly from the last time someone was cleaning something. No wonder it didn't start! Fired right up with those removed and that song etched itself onto my cortex. Sold that one a couple years later to pay for a wedding. Bought another one a couple years after that then sold it to pay for a divorce. Bought the current one for myself on my 40th birthday, the allure of that noise still as strong as ever. Sadly, she seems to languish in the shed at the back of the queue - there are more sprightly rides crowding towards the front these days so I find myself wondering whether it's time to let this one go on to the next appreciative owner, and for me to learn just to listen and smile when I see her ride by. But I'm waiting until spring to get one more trip in just to be sure...

Christian
KC, MO

Motofun352
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Motofun352 »

1983, I was new to motorcycling (at least actually owning as well as riding). Was at the Coopersburg PA Honda dealer and I spied this white '82 in for repairs. After oogling it I was hooked and the search began. Remember, this was pre-internet. Every so often I would scan the newspaper classifieds and ask around to no avail. 15 years later I was in the Bloomsburg, PA Honda dealer and asked if they ever came across any CBX's. Was told the owner (Neil) had 2! He was not selling, however, :( . 6 months later I asked again and he said if I wasn't going to stop bugging him he would just have to sell me one! :-) . Bought the white '82 and should have started bugging him about his black '80.......

On another note, the same day in '83 I also saw a new RZ350.....Well, you know how the story goes.... :D

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

<<On another note, the same day in '83 I also saw a new RZ350.....Well, you know how the story goes.... :D>>

Hmm. Still got the RGV500? and the CB400F?
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Motofun352
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Motofun352 »

Sold the RZ500, it went back to Canada. wasn't riding it sooooo.....Still have the CB400F though it's not getting ridden much either.

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 80 cbx dude #6216 »

Why I own a CBX? A friend of mine and I were on a motorcycle trip thru the Smokey Mountains, had pulled of into a scenic lookout, when a RD350 and a 79 silver CBX pulled into the lookout. The sound, those pipes, the engine... I looked at my buddy and said I won't be right until I own one of those! Next spring the same friend found one for sale and the rest is history!-Mike

Limey01
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Limey01 »

I turned 17 in September of 1978, the legal age to ride a motorcycle in the UK. And what was in the motorcycle press at the time? The CBX at a time when Triumph was still producing a push rod twin. It’s only taken me 40 years to get one but now :D
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

I fear that, since my story is so much like most of those presented here, the current high value of these machines may ultimately end up being a bubble. When we 50-70 year olds finally die off, will the demand still be there? Actually, on second thought, you know what? I don't think I care.

Anyway, I was riding a '77 CB750K when the CBX came out. I had barely been able to afford the 750 and couldn't even consider the CBX. But, like everybody else, I was awestruck. Never saw many of them on the road in 40 years. Maybe a handful. Reaction was always, "Whoa, Look!"

I've had lots of bikes in the interim - the first ZL900 Eliminator in Central Florida (so said the Orlando dealer), a second ZL900 that got totalled in 2011 (I was rear-ended), three VMax's, two GS1000's, multiple GL's (still have a '78 and a '97 Valk). I even went through a British phase - a Norton P11, a 750 Commando and a '73 Bonneville that I owned for 30 years. When this custom '79 popped up only 100 miles away - and turned out to be remarkably well-preserved (if not customized), I had no choice. I brought it home.

Better late than never, I suppose.
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

LTCUSA(ret)1995
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by LTCUSA(ret)1995 »

Because living well is the best revenge (and reward). Paid the dues, did the things, acted the adult (and maturity has not always worked out that well). It's beautiful, a technical tour de force and a time capsule of an exciting period.

Strongly, strongly believe that a CBX will always be an object of collector lust, but like so many others here, I don't really care that much. Like my 2002 V-Rod, it was an immediate object of interest and desire and now I have both in the man cave (as well as a '79 XS-750 Yam -- my 1st bike as an impecunious Army lieutenant.

Return to “No Redeeming Value”