Collector Car Values

The fun, the funny, the wacky, and the sublime. Off-topic, humor, whatever. Post it here!
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Collector Car Values

Post by EMS »

After years of stagnation and even reduction in prices for rare collectible cars, it seems 2013 brought back some of the obscene amounts spent for them things.
Being somewhat particular to Corvettes (hoping the one I own will eventually climb back above what I paid for it) they did set a few records last year:

A 1967 L88 coupe without race history brought $3,850,000.- at Barrett Jackson :clap: (Those of you, who don't know what a 1967 L88 is, send me a p.m.) Highest price ever paid for a Corvette in an auction.
Right behind was the 1969 "Rebel" L88, which was raced in Daytona and Sebring. (It had a Confederate flag painted on the roof as to mock the Greenwood Corvettes with Stars and Stripes)
It brought $2.86 million.

Ferraris, of course, topped the money list with $8,800,000 for a 1958 250 GT LW California, a 1958 250 GT S1 for $6,160,000 and a "bargain" 1956 410 Superamerica S1 for $3,300,000
I wonder how much of these prices were a result of testosterone running amok on the auction floor.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Compared to all these, my "dream car" at one point in time, the Mercedes 300SL Gullwing was dirt cheap: A restored 1956 sold for $1,402,500.- and its same year sibling in original, unrestored condition sold for $1,897,500.-. Darn, missed it again.... :snooty: :snooty:

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Collector Car Values

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I'm with you on the gull wing, Mike. Always been in the top of my list. (In there with the Duesenberg)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Here we go! Have been talking to a couple of friends and we plan to make a quick trip next weekend to Fort Lauderdale to attend the Auctions America car auction.
Check out this catalog. My pick would be the Ferrari GTB Daytona - if I could afford it. But seriously, I am intrigued by the Jaguar E-types. There are quite a few and there may be one left over that could be picked up... :think: :think:

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/catalog/2014/FL14/

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

More rare Corvettes hitting the auction block, destined to drive prices up! If I can, I wait 15 years and see what mine will be worth! :? :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/ ... 56668.html

Return to “No Redeeming Value”