CBX VS Beer

The fun, the funny, the wacky, and the sublime. Off-topic, humor, whatever. Post it here!
CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

CBX VS Beer

Post by CopperCollar »

Retirement has it's up side and downside. The upside of course is no more boss and plenty of sick days for riding, the downside; fixed income at half of what I used to make. Half of what I used to make! That has led me to a crisis; Give up repairing motorcycles or give up the Pub :icon-eek: Can't give up working on bikes as it's what keeps me sane, can't give up the brews because I just gotta have a beer while I am wrenching.

So, I have discovered home brewing. I can make a 5 gallon batch for under $40. So far three batches brewed. My last batch was a Kölsch.
Anyway this has become a hobby that has engrossed me as much as working on the CBX and I get to drink an ice cold beer while wrenching.
My first batch of Kölsch, not as clear as it should be but it was crazy good.
This is the third batch fermenting, changed some grains , yeast and keeping closer tabs on the temerature during fermentation. This is day 5 and has hit high krausen; another 7 days and it will be ready for cold conditioning and carbonation. Should be ready to pour the first week of May :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: CBX VS Beer

Post by daves79x »

I WILL have to get out to 'help' you wrench very soon!!

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Gn181z][img]https://farm1.Re: CBX VS

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Are you also learning how to bake?
Whatsup with the pie in the background?

Very appropriate thread considering your avatar.
At 8% alcohol content this stuff best consumed after wrenching.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

daves79x wrote:I WILL have to get out to 'help' you wrench very soon!!

Dave
Lets ride out together. :D
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

For an honest Kolsch -- that just might be '3 Musketeers'!! Been 20 years since I've enjoyed he real thing.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

Brilliant! Well, I'm not retired but I also brew my own beer (as if I don't have enough hobbies!). Good fun and more so when you crack that brew and it tastes better than the stuff you buy in the store. Apparently it is cheaper but I find that I probably drink it faster so it all evens out. Well, that and when your mates (buddies) realize you brew beer, they help you drink it! :laughing-rolling:

:cheers:
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

I am just getting started in the home brew hobby. As I progress I find money saved is going into things to make a better beer, yikes! Never had a true Kölsch from Cologne so I can't compare. I hear it's very good though.

Getting to warm here to brew so the fridge will become a fermentation chamber soon. In the winter it's easy enough to set the carboy in a tub of water and add ice packs to keep the temperature in range.

Oh yeah! My favorite beer from the North...Maudite! I think it's French for damned. I like the label to!

Lately I been keeping a 1/6 barrel of Sierra Blanca Pecan on draft. Must be an acquired taste because I seem to be the only one that likes it, really likes it. I draw a glass every so often while working on the bike, anyway that 1/6 barrel doesn't last a month!
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mike:

Although it is named "Kölsch" after the German city of "Köln" (Cologne) the beer is widely available in most areas north of the "White Sausage Equator" in Germany. The taste is not so much different to any other lighter lager.
The main difference between "Kölsch" and "Alt" and basically most other beers is, that the two "Rheinland" beers are "obergärig". This means, the yeast rises and settles at the top during the fermenting process rather than sinking and settling at the bottom. "Alt" is commonly associated with the city of Düsseldorf and has a darker color, somewhat misleading, as it is not a strong, dark brew.
Keep going. Another reason to come out and visit. probably during the Aspencade in September. Both my wife and I love Ruidoso.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I see a mini rally brewing........ :laughing-rollingyellow:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “No Redeeming Value”